Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

averyhare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
Hi! I’m a new Mac user and don’t know that much about computers. I wanted to download Spotify, it asked me download Rosetta software and I understand it’s necessary to read through non native apps for Apple. My question is did I make a mistake? Is this safe for my information and my computer? How many people have this downloaded?

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Only using apps native to the M1 is going to give the best performance and as more and more apps are compiled to run natively on the M1 it'll be a realistic choice for more and more users.

Reactions: MiniApple

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
No, it remains inactive until you launch an app. And then after the first start of an Intel app it stores info on how to run that app on the disk so it doesn't need to run the same calculations over and over again and can just read it from the disk instead, which is more efficient. Many Intel apps actually run faster on the current M2 chips than they ever did on Intel Macs.

Reactions: Saturn007

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
Yes it does, as I said above it stores info about the translation for each x86_64 app upon first launch and loads that data back upon subsequent launches to reduce the amount of processing needed. This is expected behaviour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.