Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StealthscrapE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
I was out this morning having coffee with my wife and kids when somebody with a beautiful blue nose pit bull walked by. I asked my wife if she knew if they shed much. My phone was sitting on the table as we continued our conversation and about 5-10 minutes later I opened Safari to search for information about pit bulls shedding.

I have never searched anything related to pit bulls nor have I recently been researching anything dog related.

After typing “do p”, there was a “Siri Suggested” result answering my exact question. “Do p” is nowhere near enough context for my phone to determine what I may be looking for.

So this leads me to wonder and ask, is Siri always listening to my conversations now and saving/storing that information for later use? I read through the Siri Terms and conditions and there is no mention of this.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Any suggestions on how to test this?

Screenshot for reference

fin8iwP.png

Akshayf

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016
That is so creepy. With all their privacy be damned attitude... Even Google is not supposed to do that yet (at least publicly).
Should be easy enough to test this though...have some conversation in proximity to the phone again and check ..
This definitely can't be a coincidence.
Quick question- are you signed into the same Apple id on any other device? Your wife's phone? Where she could've performed the search already?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Siri has to listen to everything, thats the only way it will be listening when you say “hey siri”...and I think there is a reason its now called Siri suggestions everywhere...

StealthscrapE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
That is so creepy. With all their privacy be damned attitude... Even Google is not supposed to do that yet (at least publicly).
Should be easy enough to test this though...have some conversation in proximity to the phone again and check ..
This definitely can't be a coincidence.
Quick question- are you signed into the same Apple id on any other device? Your wife's phone? Where she could've performed the search already?

Not signed in on any devices that were in the vicinity. We do have family sharing activated, but we were next to each other the entire time and she didn't perform any searches during that time.
[doublepost=1506796761][/doublepost]
Siri has to listen to everything, thats the only way it will be listening when you say “hey siri”...and I think there is a reason its now called Siri suggestions everywhere...

I understand that it is listening for the "trigger" or keywords "Hey Siri", but the understood idea is that until it is activated, it is not utilizing information from your normal conversations.

Reactions: LewisChapman

frostyisgod

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2013
Skynet is listening get rid of all phones!

Kidding but I dunno they might be? It could also maybe be a coincidence ?

StealthscrapE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Is it possible "Hey Siri" activated at some point?

No. Phone was visible and I notice when it is activated accidentally because I stop talking and close it (usually only happens when my wife is using the feature for her phone).

Volusia

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2016
Central Florida
Some body on another thread mentioned that phone booths are almost totally nonexistent now. That was the method of escaping the Matrix...... coincidence.... you decide...

Reactions: kmj2318

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I was out this morning having coffee with my wife and kids when somebody with a beautiful blue nose pit bull walked by. I asked my wife if she knew if they shed much. My phone was sitting on the table as we continued our conversation and about 5-10 minutes later I opened Safari to search for information about pit bulls shedding.

I have never searched anything related to pit bulls nor have I recently been researching anything dog related.

After typing “do p”, there was a “Siri Suggested” result answering my exact question. “Do p” is nowhere near enough context for my phone to determine what I may be looking for.

So this leads me to wonder and ask, is Siri always listening to my conversations now and saving/storing that information for later use? I read through the Siri Terms and conditions and there is no mention of this.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Any suggestions on how to test this?

Screenshot for reference

View attachment 722430

The short answer is ... yes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.