Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hello.

I have been using Apple Music since 2019, and I really like it.

I know it's not perfect, but I like the fact I can stream my own files, i like apple's playlist and I appreciate stuff like lossless and spatial audio.

That said I'm well aware Spotify has a great advantage, specifically the algorithm which is capable of suggesting you new music to listen to based on your taste.
That said I'm not interested in subscribing to Spotify.

The only similar thing I can find in Apple Music is the "your station" functionality, but in my experience it suggests very little new music, and mostly gives you music you already know from artists you listen often to.

Is there any way to generate a playlist that gives you new music based on your listening history?

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I was just wondering this too now that the Classical is coming. I used to love Pandora and its branching out algorithm. Found some stuff I really like that I may have never found otherwise.

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Every Friday, it should be giving you a New Music playlist that's tailored to your taste. Also, the Get Up and Chill playlists will usually each have about 20-30% content that you don't already have in your library.

And you should have a section on the For You tab with new releases from artists you have music from or have favorited.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Every Friday, it should be giving you a New Music playlist that's tailored to your taste. Also, the Get Up and Chill playlists will usually each have about 20-30% content that you don't already have in your library.

And you should have a section on the For You tab with new releases from artists you have music from or have favorited.
Hardly a complete solution.
It would be good to have a playlist like "new music" that would only be filled with music you haven't listened to based on your interests.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
Hardly a complete solution.
It would be good to have a playlist like "new music" that would only be filled with music you haven't listened to based on your interests.

You are NOT going to get playlists like that with Apple Music. Not even a little bit. Apple has had years to develop such capabilities but has refused to make such improvements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.