Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhaoxin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
I just bought a USB Hub as my Mac mini M1 only has two USB-C ports. I have to use one of it to link my monitor with DisplayPort.

The spec of the USB Hub is 100w with two type-c and two type-a, all of them are USB3.2 10Gbps. However, when connect with my two m.2 SSD USB disks, the speed of the read/write drops a lot than direct connect.

When direct connect, both the disk can write/read with 900Mbps/850Mbps, when connecting with the hub, one is 700Mbps/600Mbps, the other is 700Mbps/500Mbps.

When copy one to another disk, when direct connect, the speed is also near 900Mbps. But with the hub, it is under 500Mbps, nearly the half.

My question is, is this normal? The hub can't get full speed or the hub is not in good quality and I should return it? If I should return it, anyone can suggest which USB hub is better? Thanks in advance.

zhaoxin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
I just bought another two USB hubs, and tested with my Mac mini and 2 external SSD disk. The results are valuable.

After all my tests, I could confidently say that all USB Hubs slowed down the write and read speed. However, the speed did varied between hubs. The top write speed was around 750Mbps and the read speed was around 680Mbps, comparing to direct connect with write 900Mbps and read 850Mbps.

The speed was for a USB-C 10Gbps USB hub. If you don't want any speed lose, you may need a thunderbolt 3/4 hub, instead of a USB-C hub.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.