Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRutherford

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
A local store is selling a brand new, unopened AirPort Express for $95.65 and I was wondering if it's worth getting it. I'm still using the modem/router bundled with the plan I got from my Internet provider and it's been giving me headaches for the past year or so. It keeps pretending there's no connection that I have to reset it over and over again, and even after doing so, it still slows down whenever it wants to. I hate it.

The reason I'm thinking of getting it despite it being "outdated," is the AirPlay 2 functionality and the ease of setup. I have a Marshall speaker that I can connect to it when streaming tunes from Apple Music. I don't really do a lot of data-intensive tasks, so there's no need for gaming levels of connection stability/strength. Do you recommend that I get it?

At most, I would be connecting up to 5 devices simultaneously: my laptop, my iPhone, the two iPads of family members, and maybe another phone.

Many thanks!

Alch3mist

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Right behind you.
Hey there, I noticed you haven't got any responses. I am not an Airport Express owner but I would suggest you comb through this thread. I believe the answer you are looking for is somewhere in there.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ly-disappear-from-apple-online-store.2155324/

I followed this thread some months ago and I believe I read in there that the Express was not a good buy. I believe people where suggesting to buy the AirPort Extreme 1TB, if any at all. Seems like there maybe better (non-apple) options on the market.

Here is how I look at it. $95.65 maybe a great price but there is still a reason that this DC'd product is still on the shelves at best buy while all the Extreme modals have been gone for a few months. DO you research, be careful and good luck.

I would be interested in knowing what you decide.

imaccooper

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2014
North Carolina
I would not recommend getting one at this point. It is several years old and things have come quite far since then.

However, I would recommend getting a newer device to help with your wireless inconsistency. The new wireless standard is somewhat out now, but still being formalized. It is great if you could get an 802.11ax capable device, but if you really only have 5 devices and don’t foresee getting more during the life of the device, you will be fine with any current model ac unit with decent range.

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
If you want to stick with Apple, I would want an even lower price on a new Express. I would rather get a used Extreme (latest model) off of EBay as it has AC while Express only has N.

I just got a used Extreme off EBay for about 60 USD in the last few months and am very happy with it as my main router. I also have two Express and an older Extreme, that I am using only for temporary setups.

Both the Airport Expresses and the latest model Extreme have gotten software updates from Apple within the last year, if not the last six months.

I am sure that there are now third party routers that are just as easy as the Apple ones to manage from an Apple or IOS device, but I still love my dead-simples and very reliable Airports.

le prof jf

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2008
Hi,

I am still using an Airport Express first gen in my living room for streaming and it still works great.
The Airport express is a great buy for streaming and works absolutely well.You can buy it on Ebay for cheap price.
JF

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
It's not worth buying at $100. No way.

However, it's totally worth replacing your cableco modem/router. Buy a modem from this list: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cable-modem/ and look around for a better deal on an Express. Heck, I have two of the "newest" Expresses and two of the Extremes I'm not using. If I got half that price for any of them I'd be happy.

Remember that an Extreme doesn't have Airplay support, so you'll need the Express even though it doesn't support the fastest wifi connection. Or for $100 you could probably buy an Extreme *and* an Express.

Reactions: imaccooper

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I have a TimeCapsule as my primary router and use an Express as a secondary access point in a part of the house that is difficult to reach. At peak, I used to have three Express units on the network. Each device was used to serve audio and one of them was also an access point.

If you want AirPlay2 functionality then I think the Express is still worth it. The AirPort Extreme or TimeCapsult completely lack this facility. The last generatin of Express hardware got a firmware update that enabled AP2 functionality and I have had it working on my setup, though I have now moved on to HomePods instead.

Having multiple Express devices in operation tended to result in a fragile network for the home, and I wouldn’t recommend this. But, having one as an AP2 device or extender (or both at the same time) should work fine.

In terms of whether the price is ‘worth it’ that is really up to you and your personal circumstances. I haven’t found an alternative AP2 ‘end point’ anywhere that is worth buying - and I looked for years before moving to the HomePods. You can buy speakers that have AP2 built in but if you want to add AP2 to an existing speaker then the Express is what you are looking for. I ran this setup (with AP1) for about 10 years!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.