Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bearygoodfries1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone!

I currently own a Apple TV 4K. Works fine and all.

But I’m also trying to clear out some cables, and wondering since my TV can access streaming apps on its own, I’m wondering if it’s worth keeping my Apple TV.

I don’t play games on it.

I do access my purchased content from Apple on it, but I think the Apple TV app on the LG TV can access that content as well.

Is there anything I’d be missing from removing the Apple TV that I may not be aware of?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
If your TV can stream by itself, it has the AppleTV app, and you are comfortable sharing your viewing habits with LG and everyone else they have a business relationship with, then you don't need a stand alone AppleTV. I personally keep my AppleTV for that reason alone. My television's networking is shut off.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Well, privacy is one concern that comes to mind. the TV Apps are notorious for giving your information away on what you are viewing...since you already own it, I would just keep using it.

Also, do you Airplay often? That can be a factor.

Reactions: mgscheue and chabig

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
If your TV can stream by itself, it has the AppleTV app, and you are comfortable sharing your viewing habits with LG and everyone else they have a business relationship with, then you don't need a stand alone AppleTV. I personally keep my AppleTV for that reason alone. My television's networking is shut off.
100% this. My TVs are all disabled from using the network.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
The ATV 4K can also serve as a HomeKit hub. If you want to use HomeKit accessories that require a hub, the ATV 4K will work for that. So will a HomePod or HomePod mini. You can also use an iPad as a hub but it has to be plugged in and turned ON to work. If you already have a HomeKit hub or don’t need one, then this is a moot point of course.

Mostly the ATV 4K is for those who want a streaming box that is tied into the Apple ecosystem. You can certainly use your TV’s streaming apps, but they likely will not continue to get updated after a year or so, whereas the ATV 4K apps will continue to get updates for many years in most cases. Plus, as the others stated, the ATV 4K is going to protect your privacy.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
I do access my purchased content from Apple on it, but I think the Apple TV app on the LG TV can access that content as well.

Is there anything I’d be missing from removing the Apple TV that I may not be aware of?
Once difference will be with purchased Movies, via your LG you will not have access to iTunes Extras if that’s something that’s important to you as you’d be missing out on all those extra features any directors cuts or alternate movie versions that may be included with some movies.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
There are a lot of posts about using TV apps vs an Apple TV. In general the Apple TV is preferred because:

1. Better hardware
2. More frequent updates. TV manufacturers have to be dragged into updating to latest software, e.g. LG and Apple Apps/airplay on C8s. LG wasn't going to do it but finally did it after a year of protests
3. Easier to upgrade. You don't have to replace the TV when you need to upgrade the hardware.
4. Consistent interface. The LG interface and remote is a nightmare
tied into the Apple ecosystem.

Airplay, screen savers from your photos, your music and video libraries, etc.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
Hi everyone!

I currently own a Apple TV 4K. Works fine and all.

But I’m also trying to clear out some cables, and wondering since my TV can access streaming apps on its own, I’m wondering if it’s worth keeping my Apple TV.

I don’t play games on it.

I think you’ve answered your question in the 2nd sentence. If you already have this, and it works well (your words), why change it to save a cable or two? Seems like a specious trade off imo.

Token

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2002
For our family the killer feature is the ability to show the shared family photo album as screensaver. Also, video quality is (or at least used to be) better on some services, and AirPods connect seamlessly.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

audiomixer

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2007
Idaho
If one is only interested in streaming apps then yes, apple tv is great. Great audio and great video quality and apparently frame rate refresh capable. If one does their own media with full remux and full HD audio then no. As far as i know, even infuse cannot handle true HD atmos Correctly. For that i use a shield. Its short coming is a lack of built in frame rate refresh handling capabilites but plex, emby and kodi do as well as various DV profiles.

Last edited:

Jdshewman

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Seal Beach, CA
I would keep it since it will work faster than the apps on the TV. In addition, more and more content is going to get released and if you are into the NFL starting 2023 the odds of them being the new providers of the Sunday Ticket is highly probable.

Last edited:
Reactions: ipedro

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
If you already have an Apple TV, why not try using the in-built apps for a while and see how you like it? Then you can always go back when you realise your error ... ;)

Personally the experience of using tvOS is so far ahead of what any other manufacturer is currently offering that having Apple TV is non-negotiable for me. Even bought a relatively cheap one second hand for my office because I couldn't bear using LG's built-in apps.

Reactions: Prorege1

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Many things have already been said, so I'll just offer ONE more that might matter: Is there (as little as) ONE app available for AppleTV that is NOT available to the TV and you like that app? TV apps are usually TV centric. AppleTV has many apps beyond things like Netflix, Disney+, HBO and similar. If there is ONE you really like that isn't available in what is usually a much smaller TV App Store, that might do it by itself.

For me, that app is called Channels and it works with HDHomeRun boxes to bring a classic (good) cable/satt TV box experience, sans the box lease costs. Both over the air and cable (via cablecard) are merged into a easy-to-use guide, making AppleTVs attached to the TVs around the house the source of traditional television. It's also a DVR that can be any size DVR I want (just add hard drives) and I can store whatever I've DVR'd for up to forever instead of being on some provider's ticking clock or working within pinched storage allocation (or paying more for storage).

That ONE app makes AppleTV a daily use device... the primary source for what is watched on TVs in my home.

In #8, HDFan quickly references the great powers of the often overlooked/under-used Computers app, which is very different than the AppleTV+ app available on TVs. For example, I've digitized all of the family home movies accumulated over decades. Through that app, they are available on demand: nice descriptions, thumbnails, organized by year, etc. Blu Ray and DVD conversions offer movies on demand too. Family photo collection is there. Music collection (and my own playlists) is there too.

The AppleTV+ app for TVs is- IMO- unfortunately named, as many jump to a conclusion that AppleTV+ and AppleTV (hardware) is pretty much the same thing. However, that's like saying Netflix (app) and AppleTV (box) is pretty much the same... or iPhone and any VOIP app is pretty much the same, etc. AppleTV+ is just ONE app that can run on AppleTV hardware. There are so many others that make it do so many other things (including many niceties which can be enjoyed with the TV turned OFF). Most of them will NOT be available in TV app stores. Find as little as ONE you like and you justify keeping the hardware.

I've got one Mac running Snow Leopard in 2022 for TWO (apps) not able to contribute their goodies on any Mac since. Since it can run Rosetta 1, it's also a link back to a favorite game that never made the jump to Intel Macs. For those 3 apps, I keep and maintain an ancient Mac running an ancient version of macOS. Perhaps there's something on your AppleTV box that you like and is NOT available in the TV App Store?

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
Apple TV: OS and Apps get regular updates

Smart TV: Rarely if ever gets updates. If they do. Probably just a couple years.
My LG TV gets updates at least quarterly. They load in the background and are implemented the next time you turn the TV off then on.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
100% this. My TVs are all disabled from using the network.
As to privacy of data, many people here seem to think that the TV can tell who is watching it. I really have no concerns about how someone, somewhere might be making use of the fact that my mother-in-law has been watching a rerun of "Midsomer Murders" on my TV.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I use my ATV soley because it is much snappier than both my LG and Samsung UI. The added benefit is everything that I am watching not getting relayed to both companies, but I don't use Homekit or majority of the apps on the device besides the various streaming services. The remote charges quickly and lasts what seems forever easy control just from my phone, and the ability to jump between different apps quickly and at the last location from multitasking is nice (majority of the time).

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
YMMV but our ATV's are 100% worth it. I have never setup/connected our Samsung TV to the internet. Just plugged in my ATV when I got it and was good to go. We have 100% cut the cord, so we use the ATV's in our house every single day. We also don't play games on them. But to access the content/services we subscribe to, it's been a no-brainer.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
As to privacy of data, many people here seem to think that the TV can tell who is watching it. I really have no concerns about how someone, somewhere might be making use of the fact that my mother-in-law has been watching a rerun of "Midsomer Murders" on my TV.
Up to you. It certainly matters to me.

Reactions: Baron Thompson

Neil Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2020
Is for me as I use the eARC on my LG so I can have HomePod sound (better than tv sound)

Also the UI on both Samsung and LG suck..much easier to use apple tv

iPhone as a remote also means control is much easier

Reactions: SirAnthonyHopkins
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.