Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJeff0124

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2021
Hey y'all l'm planning to get the base m2 mba (8/256). I was looking at the m1 mba with 16gb ram as well but it's no longer sold anywhere in my country, the m3 ones are a lot more pricier here so it's not for me. All l'll do on it is just watching youtube videos and sometimes streaming movies on netflix/apple tv app, I'll also do casual web browsing only with safari with less than 10 tabs (5/6 at most) opened while listening to music with apple music. That's all. I don't store anything other than some music and photos and I don't use any other apps or programs. Btw I plan to use it for 5-6 years. I'm not a tech expert so just wondering if this config will be

Last edited:

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
All I’ll do on it is just watching youtube videos and sometimes streaming movies on netflix/apple tv app, other times I will do casual web browsing only with safari most of the time with 3-5 tabs opened while listening to music with apple music.
So very light use that almost any low end laptop can handle.

I’m not a tech expert so just wondering if this config will be fine.
Yes. It’s more than enough to do this. Paying for any spec upgrade would only get you bragging rights but zero benefit.

Reactions: iJeff0124

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
RAM is clearly enough for your needs.
You may want to check how much storage you expect to need. Storage requirements are easy to compute, if you just have a rough number of files and an estimation of their size. If you are sure all you need to store will fit, or that what would not fit could be stored on an external SSD without any issue, then you can go for the 256 Gb SSD.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey y'all l'm planning to get the base m2 mba (8/256). I was looking at the m1 mba with 16gb ram as well but it's no longer sold anywhere in my country, the m3 ones are a lot more pricier here so it's not for me. All l'll do on it is just watching youtube videos and sometimes streaming movies on netflix/apple tv app, I'll also do casual web browsing only with safari with less than 10 tabs (5/6 at most) opened while listening to music with apple music. That's all. I don't store anything other than some music and photos and I don't use any other apps or programs. Btw I plan to use it for 5-6 years. I'm not a tech expert so just wondering if this config will be
For your use case, any Mac made after about 2014, even a used one would be very good.
There is certainly no reason to upgrade from the base model.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
RAM is clearly enough for your needs.
You may want to check how much storage you expect to need. Storage requirements are easy to compute, if you just have a rough number of files and an estimation of their size. If you are sure all you need to store will fit, or that what would not fit could be stored on an external SSD without any issue, then you can go for the 256 Gb SSD.

For the OP, I would 100% recommend depending on iCloud for storage. Then use Apple's "smart storage" where it moves data to the mac as needed. This works well as long as you have an Internet connection. With iCloud, there s not much need for more then a minimum amount of storage on the mac.

If you do store stuff on ther Mac and don't use iCloud, then you need some other kind of backup. The OP might not understand haow to maintain backups. Best to let Apple handle this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.