Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
It's good for an entry-level dSLR. However it's at the every end of the 18-month product lifetime that Canon has had for the Rebel series, so there will probably be a 450D coming out within a couple of months.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
I asked that same question to a reputable camera shop, and they recommended I go for the 30D.

But that said, the 400D is a brilliant camera, in my experience. Have a look at these three DeviantArt pages to see what can be done with a 400D :)

actually, some of MattLew's work is done on a 40D as well. Just have a look at the exif data to see :)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I am thinking of purchasing a Canon 400D DSLR... Is it a good SLR or should I just go with the 30D instead?

Thanks,

AMS

If it's your first dSLR, it really won't matter much which one you go with- you'll get the same pictures and you'll probably be ready to upgrade inside 24 months if you get the bug. I doubt anyone could pick out which camera made which pictures in anything but corner cases anyway, and the lens selection is from the same line of lenses. Get the cheapest body you can stand and the best lenses you can afford and go shoot with them. You'll know what's important to you after the first year.

form

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
in a country
I've had a Rebel XT for over 2 years and haven't had that bug yet, unless you count the desire to upgrade to an XTi.

Neither will be disappointing, but the 30D is more expensive and has a few extra features, most notably a faster max shutter speed, higher max ISO, and higher FPS burst mode. Another important consideration is a (Canon-proclaimed) 100,000 cycle shutter life expectancy. If you shoot like I do that means add 2 or 3 more years.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
However it's at the every end of the 18-month product lifetime that Canon has had for the Rebel series, so there will probably be a 450D coming out within a couple of months.
Yup, zioxide is right on with what rumors have been telling us. Supposedly Canon is releasing new product(s) on January 24th. Whether it will be the successor to the 5D or the 400D, no one really knows but those seem like the most likely updates at this point.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
if you're a canon fan and you can wait for about a month, the 450D is coming out. rumoured to have live view and all that, i think it's worth the wait.

the 400D is really old, however the newly released 450D will be expensive for a while, AKA the 400D will be REALLY cheap next month.

otherwise you should get the sony a100, I got it and I think it's a great camera, except the shutter sounds "wooden and noisy", and the flash doesnt pop-up automatically :eek::mad::eek::mad:

the price is comparable to the 400D/D40x. However sony is a real b**** when it comes to expansion. the shutter remote uses some random head, unlike the canon that has a headset jack which can be made from 5$ on instructables.com and you HAVE to buy sony's lenses (unlike others you can get sigma or other lenses however I dont recommend), while sony lenses may be a bit more expensive than the others, you know that you're getting quality stuff.

the a700 is also another option, but I'd wait for a newer model (probably will take another year or 2 to be released).

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
if you're a canon fan and you can wait for about a month, the 450D is coming out. rumoured to have live view and all that, i think it's worth the wait.

the 400D is really old, however the newly released 450D will be expensive for a while, AKA the 400D will be REALLY cheap next month.

otherwise you should get the sony a100, I got it and I think it's a great camera, except the shutter sounds "wooden and noisy", and the flash doesnt pop-up automatically :eek::mad::eek::mad:

the price is comparable to the 400D/D40x. However sony is a real b**** when it comes to expansion. the shutter remote uses some random head, unlike the canon that has a headset jack which can be made from 5$ on instructables.com and you HAVE to buy sony's lenses (unlike others you can get sigma or other lenses however I dont recommend), while sony lenses may be a bit more expensive than the others, you know that you're getting quality stuff.

the a700 is also another option, but I'd wait for a newer model (probably will take another year or 2 to be released).

Not that I'd recommend Sony, but you don't have to buy Sony lenses. Pheonix, Sigma, and Tamron make lenses for the Minolta/Sony mount. Plus there are old (new and used) Konica/Minolta lenses available. You just can't get Tokina lenses (or all the Sigma and Tamron lenses).

And new Sony lenses aren't expensive, they are EXPENSIVE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.