Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iiiiiMAC!!!!!

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
I went into a shop to use the dynamic island, and after getting to use it for a few apps I couldn’t really tell if this would be useful or not.

Is this just a novelty 2nd screen, or have people really begun to get use out of it after using it for a few weeks? I only used it for 10 mins at the shops so it’s hard to tell when you don’t have real world use.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
This is not something you "use". And as long as people don't get it, they'll be disappointed and say it's just a gimmick and worthless.

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I’m withholding judgment until I see more, but so far I’m not convinced the pill/DI are the best UX choice.

iiiiiMAC!!!!!

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
This is not something you "use". And as long as people don't get it, they'll be disappointed and say it's just a gimmick and worthless.
Great then, this is why I’ve asked the question, so can you give me a more elaborate answer?

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
It's one of those whimsical features that I don't see becoming much of a thing unless we start to see the same camera cutout layout on all iPhone models next year.

It's a feature that will heavily depend on developer support for making good use of it and being limited to a few models there's not a huge incentive for devs to start doing something with it.

But in the end it's not much more than a cool way to hide the cutout and so far doesn't truly make an impact on how you use your phone.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Is this just a novelty 2nd screen…

it is a very, very clever way of giving people the illusion that there is a “2nd screen” where in reality there is only a black hole.

It is indeed very clever, but at the end of the day a hole is a hole is a hole, so if at any point you see through the illusion, that’s all you’re going so see.

Last edited:

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
To me it looks like a notch, a smaller notch with things in it, yet a a notch nevertheless 😊

• Haha
Reactions: doboy

Total Respray

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
Ultimately it is just a notification system that happens to disguise some dead space. It is not a standalone feature.

Reactions: KRG

Top Lad

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2022
Anything is better than the dumb notch, that was a bigger eye sore with the two ears sticking out either side. Never got used to that.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I think it's a clever and useful way of providing info/access but it's not a WOW feature that would drive an upgrade for many.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Said users of 3D touch and the touchbar.... lets see how long this one lasts.
I think it's a gimmick just like those mentioned features.
FWIW, I thought the Touch Bar was pointless. Not even close to being in the same category as the others. I may be completely wrong here, but I think the island is here to stay.

pirateninjae

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
I find it useful. Some examples where I used the island.

* At the gym, I have my fitness app active and Apple Music playing in the background. I use the dynamic island if I wear something interesting and I want to know about it.
* Using Maps directions. I set a destination on Maps and switch to a different app while I am walking. The persisted next direction on the screen is nice; I don’t have to wait until the notification pops up or switch back to the Map app.
* I was using Strava the other day while general commute cycling, had Maps set to a destination, and the phone on a mount. Having Strava active with maps persisting on the screen (via DI) was useful to me. I tend to use audio prompts to get direction info, but being able to glance on the screen and see the info alongside the fitness app I was using was a nice experience.

I don’t think this feature is revolutionary, but I am definitely making use out of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.