Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronaldo_350

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2021
Is it expected that the regular 13 will only get the same 60Hz display, dual camera system, 4GB RAM and 64 GB storage for $800 USD ? It seems like a very high price for these kind of specs. I don't see many changes over the iphone 12 other than the A15 and rumored larger battery.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
NEXT YEAR WILL BE the YEAR TO UPGRADE. I wouldn't trust buying a new iPhone 13 because their is a limited supply of so many components lately and the so-called features r underwhelming this year as well. I was over it when they didn't add back touch ID in some form.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
If the changes are as minimal as you've pointed out, they could justify it with a price drop...but that's not going to happen.

Reactions: mcru21

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
Based off the rumours the regular models do seem very weak this time around, and imo will be hard to justify vs a price cut 12. The pro models on the otherhand sound more appealing

Reactions: N69AP

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
If you already have a 12, no point in upgrading this year unless you go for a pro model.
It drives me crazy how people expect massive upgrades every year. I have a 2021 Ford Mustang and from what I hear the 2022 Mustang is only going to have 55 more horsepower and look the same. How does Ford expect me to upgrade this year and spend another 40k with that "underwhelming" upgrade? Yeah sounds pretty ridiculous....

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
It drives me crazy how people expect massive upgrades every year. I have a 2021 Ford Mustang and from what I hear the 2022 Mustang is only going to have 55 more horsepower and look the same. How does Ford expect me to upgrade this year and spend another 40k with that "underwhelming" upgrade? Yeah sounds pretty ridiculous....
Agree, some people just like having the latest and greatest, don’t see the point anymore these days, rather wait 2 years so it feels more like a proper upgrade.

Still looking forward to the apple event, hopefully it’s not a snooze fest were they talk about the cameras for 1 hour.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Agree, some people just like having the latest and greatest, don’t see the point anymore these days, rather wait 2 years so it feels more like a proper upgrade.

Still looking forward to the apple event, hopefully it’s not a snooze fest were they talk about the cameras for 1 hour.
Don't get me wrong I'm not against buying the latest and greatest. If your budget is good enough where spending $1K every year for a phone is pocket change then sure why not. I have friends who buy a new car every year just because they get bored. My thing is don't expect a year over year upgrade to be significant every year. Like with cars some years it's a whole new model but others it's very minor changes. Besides iPhone isn't where the cutting edge tech is going to be anyway. If you're more into the untested beta tech go Android. You'll get things like Google Soli that flop but maybe sometimes you'll get the new next best thing first. By the time iPhone gets it the new thing isn't so new but it's been polished and perfected.

jamie_341

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2021
I agree, the 13 pro and 12 pro seem to have a lot of upgrades with camera and ProMotion display. The 12 -> 13 seems underwhelming. Even when considering the price will probably be similar between 12 pro vs. 13 pro and 12 regular vs 13 regular. Hopefully, the specs will bump up at least (6GB RAM and 128GB base).

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I agree, the 13 pro and 12 pro seem to have a lot of upgrades with camera and ProMotion display. The 12 -> 13 seems underwhelming. Even when considering the price will probably be similar between 12 pro vs. 13 pro and 12 regular vs 13 regular. Hopefully, the specs will bump up at least (6GB RAM and 128GB base).
Maybe apple has some surprises in store for us 😁🤔

Reactions: snipr125

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Feels like the big boost the lower priced flagships got last year compared to the Pro models, is now on the Pro models side compared to the lower priced flagships. The other way.

Unfortunately. I really hoped for the LAST Mini, 13 Mini, to get a boost of features to stay competitive in the feature somehow when there won't be a new Mini anymore, iPhone 14 and beyond. I really hoped for TouchID in power button. But no.

Maybe it is because many regular people, upgrading every 2-5 years, bought the regular 12 series already and won't upgrade to the 13 because of this. Pro buyers are often regular, yearly upgraders and need more than just a new chip to upgrade. Maybe they expect the 13 Pro series to be the best sellers this time.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
You won’t regret it, when I upgraded from my xs max to 12 pro max, couldn’t believe this awesome battery life, it’s going to be even better with the 13 pro max since it’s getting a even bigger battery.
Absolutely... until you use said 13 Pro Max to visit Macrumours on Safari and its battery % starts dropping at an alarming rate and phone is hot enough to fry an egg!!!

• Haha
Reactions: LFC2020

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
If the changes are as minimal as you've pointed out, they could justify it with a price drop...but that's not going to happen.
They could. The iPhone 11 sold for $699 and it was a huge success after Apple reduced $50 from the asking price of the iPhone XR. Its successor, the iPhone 12, costs $829, which is $130 more expensive. The iPhone 12 mini, which Apple put in this price point, for $729, had underwhelming sales. The iPhone 12 is, in fact, the most expensive regular iPhone Apple has ever sold, and it has only 64 GB RAM. A price drop does not seem something out of this world, except for Apple's current policy of upselling everything.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
NEXT YEAR WILL BE the YEAR TO UPGRADE. I wouldn't trust buying a new iPhone 13 because their is a limited supply of so many components lately and the so-called features r underwhelming this year as well. I was over it when they didn't add back touch ID in some form.
There won’t be a 14 mini. This is the last.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014

It's incredibly wasteful, too. Why are people tossing perfectly good premium phones every year?

So much of the discourse is around "what's the difference from a 12 -> 13" instead of "what's the difference from a X or a XS -> 13" or "from this Android phone to iPhone", which are far more likely upgrade paths for most people.

Ifti

macrumors 601
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I'm waiting to see what's announced as I'm tempted to go from my 11 Pro Max to the 13 Pro Max....after which I'll stick with it for another 2-3 years.
I skipped the 8 and 8s completely and went from the 7s+ to the X.
When I decided to upgrade from the X to the 11 Pro Max I decided to only ever upgrade every 2-3 years - I can't see how a yearly upgrade is justifiable any more......

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
We don’t know what changes will be made. It doesn’t always have to be features. The new processor, modem and other internals could change battery life and how well the phone works on 5g. The camera could be a small paper upgrade but work with AI much better creating even better photos.

All I know is that I’ve loved my mini. I may consider the 13pro, money isn’t an issue, but if they had made a mini pro, all the features of the 13pro just smaller, I’d pay double. Some of us just want what we want and I love how pocketable the mini is. I really like how easy it is to use with one hand. But now I’m going to be in a position where I have to decide if I want the size or the features. It will really depend on the reviews once the gag order is lifted.

I almost always upgrade every year. Everyone says it’s crazy spending $1k/yr but I’ve always turned around and sold my phones I currently have which generally cuts the cost in half. For me I’d rather enjoy the product I’m using since it’s the single item I use the most. I’ve even contemplated switching to android but those phones all feel like tablets in my hands and their rounded screens suck to look at.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2018
I think the 13 will essentially be a repeat of the 12 but with all the kinks of the 12 "ironed" out, like a much better 5G modem that doesn't murder the battery, a bigger battery, better Wifi, better Face ID, better cameras, slightly better display quality(not a new type, just better quality), etc.

Really "just" a spec bump all around but might end up being a really solid iPhone since it's not a jump in design, displays, cellular modems.

For me I'd think it was a pretty good upgrade if we just saw a larger battery and maybe more RAM in the non-Pro, standard iPhone 13, like up to 6GB from the 4GB in the current one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.