Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DZetko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2015
Hi,

I was thinking of buying an iPhone X on vacation in the USA. I live in Europe and found out that the A1901 is the one marketed for my country, whereas in the USA A1865 is the default one. When inspecting it a bit further, they both have the same GSM/EDGE capabilities.

My question is: Will the A1865 work in Europe too? Or do I have to ask in the store for the A1901?

Thanks in advance!

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
It'll work like a charm. In fact, the A1865 model is compatible with more bands than the GSM-only model, due to the fact that it supports CDMA.

firesinis

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
It will work, but caveat emptor: I bought an A1865 iPhone X while on vacation in the US two days before my return trip. I discovered a shiny spot in the screen and initially wanted to return the unit, but the guy at the Apple store said not to worry as it was probably some kind of residue from packaging/manufacturing that would go away in a few days, but in any case if it did not I could take it to my local Apple Store and they would take care of it.

So I took the trip back, the spot didn't go away and off I went to the Apple Store, and the way they offered to "take care" of it is to either change the device's screen or give me a refurb A1901 unit. I wouldn't have a problem with the A1901 model, since CDMA isn't used anywhere but the US anyway, as long as they gave me a new model. But they refused and said that all they could do is a refurb. They also told me they can't process returns of products bought in a different country's Apple Store, and they are clearly taking advantage of it, as if I was still in the US I would just return the phone and buy a brand new one. Bottom line, in no way I'll be satisfied with paying full price and ending with a refurb or pried open phone after 10 days of purchase.

Moral of the story: think twice before buying Apple products while on vacation outside your country, because even though Apple offers global warranty you may end up with a refurb product after only a few days.

Last edited:

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
Yes it will work.

I’ve taken it traveling in Southeast Asia, Australia. Works great using local sim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.