Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redaouaouinex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2020
Hello , i want to buy the base model macbook pro 2018 2.2ghz i7 , i want to know is the heat problem still there ? Or there is a fix ? All my work is 4k video editing and internet surfing .

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Apple did an update a long time ago that fixed the throttling...but it's still not going to cool enough to let the CPU run at the speed it would in a full-size gaming laptop

Redaouaouinex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2020
Apple did an update a long time ago that fixed the throttling...but it's still not going to cool enough to let the CPU run at the speed it would in a full-size gaming laptop
So for a 4k video editing , what is the max temp the cpu can be ?

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
Apple run their system with a thermal limit of 100C, once reached the system will throttle.

It would be more meaningful to ask what performace you get out, checking benchmarks would be a good start.

The thermal design of the 2016 - 2018 is the same. You will have to go to the 16” for an improved thermal design.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Depends on what you mean with “heat problem”. It is a thin and light laptop that packs rather powerful hardware, so it will obviously run rather hot under heavy load.
[automerge]1581442772[/automerge]
So for a 4k video editing , what is the max temp the cpu can be ?

100C under heavy load, as by the machines design and spec. No idea whether 4K editing will get you to this limit but I routinely see these temps running statistical simulations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.