Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NathanD

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2017
Italy
Hi everybody. I'm a CS student and I'm considering buying a new MBP for college since my Windows laptop is getting old. I'd use it especially for programming using Eclipse, Android Studio, Swift etc. and of course for browsing.
I have a limited budget (I can't spend more than 1500€) so I'd go for the nTB MBP, also because I don't really need the new Touch Bar (I like the Touch ID though), and I'd buy a USB type-C hub so two ports are just fine for me. But since this nTB MBP is a sort of new MacBook Air, will the slower processor (2.0GHz 15W with Iris 540) be powerful enough for me?
Also, I can wait until September/October when the new model with Kaby Lake is likely to be released (hoping for a price drop).

Thank you and sorry for my English!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yeah the nTB MBP would be absolutely fine. It'll easily do everything you need it to without any complaints.

Reactions: NathanD

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Hi everybody. I'm a CS student and I'm considering buying a new MBP for college since my Windows laptop is getting old. I'd use it especially for programming using Eclipse, Android Studio, Swift etc. and of course for browsing.
I have a limited budget (I can't spend more than 1500€) so I'd go for the nTB MBP, also because I don't really need the new Touch Bar (I like the Touch ID though), and I'd buy a USB type-C hub so two ports are just fine for me. But since this nTB MBP is a sort of new MacBook Air, will the slower processor (2.0GHz 15W with Iris 540) be powerful enough for me?
Also, I can wait until September/October when the new model with Kaby Lake is likely to be released (hoping for a price drop).

Thank you and sorry for my English!
Yes the base MacbookPro is excellent, remember that CPU can turbo up to 3.1Ghz as needed so it's not restricted to just 2.0Ghz, the Iris gpu is insanely capable for integrated graphics other than getting a dedicated gpu, get the Mac and enjoy it

Reactions: NathanD

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Since most CS programs develop against small amounts of data and smaller programs you should be fine. Machine Learning/AI will be effected if that is in your plans. But, even in that case, you have the luxury of time. If something takes an hour to run you can go off and do something else.

You idea of waiting until fall sounds like a good idea. Apple usually has some sort of back to school sale, and if there are new models they will appear in October. Also, don't forget refurbished machines. They are as good as new.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Since most CS programs develop against small amounts of data and smaller programs you should be fine. Machine Learning/AI will be effected if that is in your plans. But, even in that case, you have the luxury of time. If something takes an hour to run you can go off and do something else.

You idea of waiting until fall sounds like a good idea. Apple usually has some sort of back to school sale, and if there are new models they will appear in October. Also, don't forget refurbished machines. They are as good as new.
I agree definetly if you can wait till the 2017 fall refresh you'll will definetly get your monies worth

mpConroe

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
Arbroath (UK) / Wroclaw (PL)
I have my MBP with Touch Bar and I'm using it to learn Swift, Web Development, Photoshop and Premiere Pro and it works fine :). But I'm thinking about getting new iMac which are coming this fall. But not because MBP it's not enough for me, but because I'm planning to do more video editing and games in the future.

The MBP will be fine for your needs, even basic games like CS:GO will go fine. There is no such a big difference between base model and TB model but I wanted to have this TB cos I like new things. especially the Touch ID is cool.

I wouldn't go with MB Air cos this one doesn't have a Retina display. It makes a huge difference.

rrayborn38

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2017
Yes, it's perfect for you. Mine has gracefully handled everything I have thrown at it so far. No complaints at all.

NathanD

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2017
Italy
Thank you guys.
Do you think 8GB of RAM will be enough for programming? I know 16 would be better but I think I can't afford it.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

Storage is still good depending on usage patterns. Compilers and various libraries can eat up quite a few GB, especially if you decide to install extra ones as a way to get an OpenMP runtime on OSX because Apple has yet to adopt that from Clang.

reserves

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Non touch bar 8gb will be absolutely fine for your needs.

If you're on a budget buy one from the Apple Refurbished store, if you're a student stretch to Apple Care if you can get student pricing, worthwhile investment for 3 years stress free computing.

Reactions: gobikerider
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.