Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
I am reassessing my workflows and thinking more about the ipad pro. I am interested in peoples opinion
of the apple pencil and ipad versus microsoft and wacom competitors. Having played around a while
in the Apple store and having watched many reviews on youtube, I am concluding the pencil has slightly
better tracking (lack of offset & latency) but somewhat worse "feel". The hardness of the pencil tip
makes the drawing and writing experience very "glassy", while the softer surface tip seems to provide a
more natural feel. Also, the pencil is very noisy--like a jot pro--while the surface pens (i've used all
4 variations) plays more quietly and somehow this translates into a better experience for me.

Andy847

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2016
Chicago Suburb
I don't think the the tip of the AP is too hard. I had a hard time adjusting to the thickness, coming from using Note 10.1 tablet and phones. The tip is smaller on the S Pen and I had a full size Samsung slate stylus which was a similar S pen tip in full size. i eventually got use to using the AP.

As for the Glassy feeling, I agree with that also. I also think with time you'll adjust to it. I have and now like using it. I also have a tempered glass Screen protector on mine, so that adds some getting use to. Although I have to say, I don't know what Noisiness you are referring to. I've never heard any noise from using the apple Pencil.

I've had the Surface pro 3 and 4, while the stylus was nice, the software I tried on it, such as ArtRage and some others, would often crash. I just hated dealing with windows in general. One of the reasons I love the Ipad Pro, and no heating up on the Ipad Pro like I had on the SP's. Wacom is good, but once again, heating up issues and working with windows 10. I have an Intous Pen and touch and the Wacom stylus is good and I know what you mean by the feel of the surface, but I don't like being tethered to a computer or the disconnect of drawing looking at the screen and not the tablet. It's all stuff anyone can get use to, you have to choose what you are willing to work with and what issues that device has that you can deal with. I've been using my AP pretty much almost every night, until the last month or so, where I've been really busy. I've never had to replace the tip yet. I've had my Ipad Pro and AP since about March this year.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
what happened to the ipad pro "textured surface" claim from "pixar artists"? Its as smooth as--well--glass. wonderful ipad stands at the applestore! just enough height and tilt! Apple really gets retail.

Andy847

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2016
Chicago Suburb
I've never felt it with a Tempered Glass Screen protector, but I believe it's the same feel on a bare screen on the IPad Pro. I have read that some Artists like the Matte Screen protectors for the reason you mentioned. I find them harder to put on. I had one on my Galaxy Note 10.1 and it did give it a little more "drag" is the word I would use. The problem I have with them, is I left my original Matte screen protector on my Note 10.1 and after almost 4 years, the scratches all over it just show me how the screen would have been if I left it unprotected. It will most likely give you that "Drag" you're looking for on the Ipad Pro, I just hate applying them. So just a preference of mine not to use them, I like the protection of the Tempered glass screen protectors and the drawing on Glass feel doesn't bother me, since I'm already use to it. You have to do what works best for you. If I were you though and that is an important thing to have, go ahead and spend the money on a Wacom, you'll definitely get what you want there. I think the 13" HD Wacom is about the same starting price as an IPad Pro.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Yes, I think the Pencil tip is a bit too hard. I put a matte screen protector on my iPad Pro but it doesn't help with the slipperiness nearly as much as I hoped it would. I really miss the grit of lead on paper. I'm really hoping Apple or a third party makes some different tip options with a lot more friction soon, even if it means I have to replace the tip more often.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Canada
I don't think it's literally too hard, but if you're referring to pressure curve, it can be adjusted in some apps.
The tip is perfect imo

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
I don't think it's literally too hard, but if you're referring to pressure curve, it can be adjusted in some apps.
The tip is perfect imo
No, i mean the physical tip. I found the pressure curves in most apps acceptable. But the tip was noisey--clacky--in a way surfaces are not, and jot pro's were (or are?)

AronDraws

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
Burbank, CA
I have no problem switching between the Apple Pencil and the Wacom Stylus-- I used to own a Yiynova tablet (it was the only thing I could afford before I was able to get a Wacom Cintiq) and that had a hard slick glass surface. Might be why the pencil isn't a bother to me. The only problem I had with that was my hand sticking (which only rarely happens with the ipad).

I have caught myself pressing with a heavy hand on the ipad pro and I see the screen shimmer underneath it but I've been trying to work on that. I get a little intense when I draw LOL.

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
I think the pencil is to hard. Inking is much more difficult on iPad vs my cintiq. I tried a matte protector that worked but killed the screen quality. Wacom is still my preferred stylus tech, but the Apple Pencil is a close second.for any style that uses value rather than line iPad Pro works great. I'm replacing my iPad Pro with a wacom mobile studio pro 15.6". 16gb ram, i7 processor, textured glass screen. Desktop OS and software. Bigger size is better for art, I always found the 12.9 iPad small for working long hours on. Not a big fan of any of the software packages on iOS. They get the job done, but only in basic generic ways. There is nothing close to Corel painter , photoshop or zbrush on iOS. Wacom palm rejection is superior too. I like the wacom stylus design more. Easier to hold all day long, programmable and eraser. Wacom does tilt too, and rotation. Apple only has tilt. I love the feel of wacom textured glass. So much control.

I don't like battery powered Pencil. It's always running out of juice. Wacom always just works. Plus u don't have to look like a duche in front of people or you boss while you charge your pencil. It never fails to run out when I need it.

Really it all depends on your style and needs. Both technologies are great but fit different niches. Try them both out see what you like best. Astropad is compelling, but last time I tried it, some tools were not working in photoshop, lack of buttons slowed down my workflow, and it's still a small screen. Oh and there is no color calibrated workflow on astropad or iOS. If you print art or photos, this sucks big time. Colors will be off. I calibrate on cintiq 27, and there is a lack of accuracy on my year old iPad Pro.

The offset and tracking issues on wacom are actually advantages. U can see around your hand and the pen tip. Wacom tracks perfectly. Just watch the cursor. It's just slightly offset. The new wacom msp supposedly has zero offset, I will miss it. No seasoned artists I know complains about it.

No floating cursor on iPad means less accuracy than wacom. Despite the pixel level accuracy , we still get parallax because of the screen gap on the iPad. There is a detached feeling to the iPad IMO. I zoom very far in, and that fixes accuracy issues most of the time, assuming it's a small line. I hope they do a floating cursor someday. I feel more connected to the art with it.

Heat is an issue on all tablets. My ipad pro gets hot and the battery life is really only 4-5 hours. Both fail outdoors, to dim and they get hot. But, it's much cooler than my old cintiq companion 2 was. But it's kinda silly to compare a mobile workstation built for artists to a consumer tablet, with a stylus added as a afterthought. Of course the tablet will be more popular with most people, but go to Hollywood effects studios or games studios- they all run cintiqs because they are designed for professional artists.

That said, you can do some impressive paintings on the iPad Pro. I love mine for sketching in bed or coffee shops. It's much more portable than a cintiq companion. I know a couple illustrators who do most of their work on the iPad pro. Their stuff is amazing. But it's built for pleasurable experience, not speedy workflows.

We run osx and some windows 10 computers. Seems like they crash about the same now. Shoot, sometimes even procreate on iOS crashes on me. I'm OS agnostic , they seem almost identical now days. I mostly care about hardware, the software nowadays is so good from both companies it just works.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
I think the pencil is to hard. Inking is much more difficult on iPad vs my cintiq. I tried a matte protector that worked but killed the screen quality. Wacom is still my preferred stylus tech, but the Apple Pencil is a close second.for any style that uses value rather than line iPad Pro works great. I'm replacing my iPad Pro with a wacom mobile studio pro 15.6". 16gb ram, i7 processor, textured glass screen. .

interesting comments. I feel the ipad growing on me a bit; i try it when i am near the store. I am really excited by the wacom mobile 15.6. I think it was bold wacom to go big and i hope it pays off for them. I am "looking" until the surface 5 drops in march

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
interesting comments. I feel the ipad growing on me a bit; i try it when i am near the store. I am really excited by the wacom mobile 15.6. I think it was bold wacom to go big and i hope it pays off for them. I am "looking" until the surface 5 drops in march

yeah the ipad is awesome in its own ways. i take mine with me everywhere. i hope apple makes a bigger one around 15" or so, with a textured screen. that would be pretty ideal.
[doublepost=1477181222][/doublepost]if your not trained in desktop software, you probably wont miss it.

DesignLucas

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2018
I agree with you. I just got an iPad pro and I would say I HATE the pencil. I am disappointed because I liked it in the store before I bought it. The pencil is hard plastic and feels gross against the glass display of the iPad - I actually get squeamish (like nails on a chalkboard) while using it. Super disappointing. I wish Apple would make a softer tip you could put on. I don't really want to put a matte screen protector on my iPad.

Reactions: DaniJoy

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I agree with you. I just got an iPad pro and I would say I HATE the pencil. I am disappointed because I liked it in the store before I bought it. The pencil is hard plastic and feels gross against the glass display of the iPad - I actually get squeamish (like nails on a chalkboard) while using it. Super disappointing. I wish Apple would make a softer tip you could put on. I don't really want to put a matte screen protector on my iPad.

I am asking myself how you could not see that in a store when you were there to check it out? I checked the pencil out myself and knew exactly what to expect after testing it.

But still, return it if you don’t like it, Apple gives you two weeks return period in pretty much all countries, and get something that you enjoy more!

DesignLucas

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2018
I am asking myself how you could not see that in a store when you were there to check it out? I checked the pencil out myself and knew exactly what to expect after testing it.

But still, return it if you don’t like it, Apple gives you two weeks return period in pretty much all countries, and get something that you enjoy more!

To be honest, I think I'll stick with it, because I love the software Adobe have been creating for it, and I like the iPad generally. I will hold out for Apple (or a 3rd party) to make a softer pencil tip. As for your first comment, I' not sure why it felt better inside the Apple Store. I'm guessing it was because 1. It was super noisy in the store and that muffled the sound of the pencil on the screen and 2. All the finger grease on the display model (gross) could have had a effect ;)

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Yup, could be the noise level. I don’t really realise that anymore when using the pencil, maybe you can get used to it a bit more and then it fades into the background.

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
To be honest, I think I'll stick with it, because I love the software Adobe have been creating for it, and I like the iPad generally. I will hold out for Apple (or a 3rd party) to make a softer pencil tip. As for your first comment, I' not sure why it felt better inside the Apple Store. I'm guessing it was because 1. It was super noisy in the store and that muffled the sound of the pencil on the screen and 2. All the finger grease on the display model (gross) could have had a effect ;)

i sold off my 12.9 because it was mostly worthless as a primary work machine and i couldnt justify the price for a low end spec companion device with such a gimmicky feeling apple pencil. the 9.7 pro has been my sweet spot.. very portable and light, the price and low performance specs match what it can actually do for me more.

im hoping the next ipad pro and apple pencil 2 fix all the issues with the poor stylus feel, because there is allot about it they got right. its very accurate and has good initial activation force , and a good enough pressure curve. I just cant stand the noise, slick glass and the constantly dead "i need a charge" pencil. its been over 2 years and the aftermarket still has not made a better feeling tip that i know of. seen a few screen protectors made to improve the feel. but they always kill image quality a bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.