Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Al B

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
I've almost got it narrowed down and should be making my first dslr purchase within a week. I know I will be getting the D80 although I have a little more deliberation to do concerning the lens.

I'm thinking about making the purchase through B&H and was wondering about buying used. Would you consider that to be a wise move?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
If I were new to digital SLRs, I would be wary about buying a used camera simply because I wouldn't really know what to look for when it comes to the state of the camera.

I have bought used lenses from reputable dealers. I wouldn't personally buy a lens from a private individual unless I could meet and inspect the lens first.

Other people are willing to accept more risk than I am, though, in hopes of getting a better deal than I'll likely ever get. I don't personally even like to buy used stuff off of eBay. So the big question is "how much of a gambler are you?"

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I've almost got it narrowed down and should be making my first dslr purchase within a week. I know I will be getting the D80 although I have a little more deliberation to do concerning the lens.

I'm thinking about making the purchase through B&H and was wondering about buying used. Would you consider that to be a wise move?

I've purchased used from B&H and KEH and haven't had any issues, but there is a risk and you won't get the same warranty as new (and you may not even get Nikon USA repairable equipment.) For a camera body, I'd probably go with new if I were you. Lens-wise, used is good, as long as the equipment is in the condition it states.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I've bought used lenses from reputable dealers and from private individuals, worked out great every time. If you buy from private individuals, you need to see the lens before you buy. Other than that, I haven't run into any problems.

When you buy from a dealer, you often get some warranty (I got one year) which is good enough for me.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

If you are going to buy used equipment sight un-seen then what mattrs the most is who you buy it from. B&H is reputable. There are others that are good also. Best however if you can look at the equipment first and try it out.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I bought a used lens from a reputable MacRumors member. :D That's where I got my lovely EF17-40. I believe I sold my EF-S10-22 here, too.

Just make sure you investigate your seller.

punkkid219

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
nope used equipment especially when your new is a good choice just watch who your buying from

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.