Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaperMacWriter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
My grandmother got a new camera for her birthday, a Olympus Stylus 1010, and she was real excited. When talking to her about this I mentioned how much faster FW is, and how it takes a good load off your processor (she has a PMG5), and now she wants a FW XD card reader(she needs a new one anyway). She also needs a XD card. So I have a few questions:

1) a. Is there such a thing as a FW XD card reader?
b. If there is one, would there be a substantial difference vs USB?
2) Is there a specific XD card you'd recommend?

Thanks for any help I might get in advance:D!
SG :apple:

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
For that camera, and the xD card format in general, you are unlikely to notice any difference between FW and USB. xD's are inherently slow, the 1010 is a 10MP camera, and (though I'm not certain) I doubt it can record anything more than JPGs.

FW and the FW800 readers are great, when you're dumping a 24MP 14-bit RAW from your D3x or your 50MP Hassy. For what you want, there is no discernible difference. This is partly why there are no card readers on the market that will use FW on anything other than CF (though there might be some SD readers in the pipeline).

PaperMacWriter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Well if it doesn't exist, then thats fine. Any recommendations for an XD card though? Her old camera used SD, so she'll need one anyway.
SG :apple:

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
"Removable Media Card xD-Picture Card (TM) (1GB, 2GB), micro SD (MASD-1 is required), microSD movie function available (up to 2GB cards)"

So it looks like you can use micro SD too. So few people make XD. Just pick what you can find.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.