Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is there a place in the MacBook Pro lineup for a "low end" SoC, with a big screen?

• Yes

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • I have other thoughts that I'll write below...

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

AppleFan22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
I own 2 13" MacBooks, an Air and a Pro, and I am constantly wishing I had more real-estate on my MBP screen. Be it watching Netflix, editing in Final Cut, or just doing some other work.

The problem is, a base model 14" MBP is £1,699. A base model 16" is £2,599. I don't need or want an M3 Pro. I spent so much on dongles and USB hubs years ago that I don't care for the extra I/O. All I want is a big screen, and a fan for those times I go a little too crazy in FCP or playing games.

How does the rest of the community feel about that? Is there a place in the MacBook Pro lineup for a "low end" SoC, with a big screen?

AppleFan22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Apple already has the 15" MacBook Air.
Right, but I'm concerned that that's not going to do too well when I'm editing hours of 4K 200mbps video, or trying to play games. The Air doesn't have a fan, and I don't want any thermal throttling...

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I own 2 13" MacBooks, an Air and a Pro, and I am constantly wishing I had more real-estate on my MBP screen. Be it watching Netflix, editing in Final Cut, or just doing some other work.

The problem is, a base model 14" MBP is £1,699. A base model 16" is £2,599. I don't need or want an M3 Pro. I spent so much on dongles and USB hubs years ago that I don't care for the extra I/O. All I want is a big screen, and a fan for those times I go a little too crazy in FCP or playing games.

How does the rest of the community feel about that? Is there a place in the MacBook Pro lineup for a "low end" SoC, with a big screen?

If you don't need or want an M3 Pro, then a 15-inch MacBook Air would totally do it for you.

Right, but I'm concerned that that's not going to do too well when I'm editing hours of 4K 200mbps video, or trying to play games. The Air doesn't have a fan, and I don't want any thermal throttling...

The lack of a fan really won't make that big of a difference. A throttled M3 will probably still be faster than an M1 unthrottled.

No I don't, because it's far too expensive. I get by perfectly well with my M1s, I don't need an M3 Pro, I just need more screen space.
A 16-inch MacBook Pro with just an M3 and not an M3 Pro is entirely unnecessary. There being a 13-inch MacBook Air, 14-inch MacBook Pro, and a 15-inch MacBook Air ALL with the base M3 is redundant. And yeah, a base model M1 Pro, M2 Pro, or M3 Pro 16-inch MacBook Pro solves the whole "what if an M3 in a MacBook Air isn't fast enough fear" as M3 with a fan is unlikely to make any meaningful difference.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
In the 14” chassis, the base M3 ($2099) represents a $600 CAD (+taxes, but those vary) savings over the base M3Pro ($2699). Not negligeable! But it includes 3 CPU cores, 4 GPU cores, and 10GB RAM more than the base M3. This is Apple’s MO. I’ll try not to get distracted… ;)

The base 16” M3Pro retails for $3299 CAD. A $600 savings would price that at $2699, assuming Apple retains that delta, however the M3Pro in the 16” base has an additional CPU core and 4 more GPU cores than the base 14” MBPro (with M3Pro) so there might be additional savings… I imagine Apple has run the numbers on whether a base M3 16” MBPro would sell in sufficient numbers and we will see the results of that when the M4 models are released.

That’s a really long-winded way of saying: how many people would purchase a base M series 16” MBPro that don’t already pony up for the present chip lineup? If you buy the 16” already but hope they make a cheaper one… that’s not in Apple’s interest and they know it.

Reactions: Audentia

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
Have you tried your heavy workload and had this effect on your 13" Air?

I'd say thermal throttling on M-series is a different thing compared how it used to be on Intel Macbooks, and that productivity at least in my case can just proceed without much of an effective impact.

Though YMMV, especially if you live in a hot country and clamshell the device, I'm sure you can hit sub 5W thermal throttle.

chmania

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2023

If you are doing all that heavy work, such as "editing in Final Cut" at home, why not get a monitor?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Is there a place for a low spec 16" MacBook Pro?"

Not really.

A 15" well-equipped MacBook Air "fills that slot" in the product lineup.

Anyone who's going to buy a MBP 16", is almost certainly going to want at least "the base model" as it comes now.

If there are exceptions, they are so few as to make little difference to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.