Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
I recently discovered a program called ExposurePlot, for Windows, that allows me to analyze the exposure settings in my pictures. It gives information that I consider very interesting - for example, I didn't realize that around 70% of the pictures I analyzed were taken at the widest focal length I have on my Rebel XT, 18mm!

Do you guys know if there is a similar program available for OSX? It would be ideal if it integrates with iPhoto. I only have a few pictures in my (work) Windows laptop, where I installed the program.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I recently discovered a program called ExposurePlot, for Windows, that allows me to analyze the exposure settings in my pictures. It gives information that I consider very interesting - for example, I didn't realize that around 70% of the pictures I analyzed were taken at the widest focal length I have on my Rebel XT, 18mm!

Do you guys know if there is a similar program available for OSX? It would be ideal if it integrates with iPhoto. I only have a few pictures in my (work) Windows laptop, where I installed the program.

About the only way I can think of to do this is to use more general purpose tools. For example in Aperture (and I think iPhoto too) I could make a set of smart albums, one for each range of focal lenghts. Aperture would sort my photo library and I cauld read the counts of the images it put into each.

Going a step futher, wouldn't it be nice if Apple let us directly access the database tables used to manage the image library. I could write an SQL querry in about 15 seconds that would return a table of f-stop vs. image count. If that could be done, then you could use Open Office to send the query and make a chart. (I don't think the Mac version of MS Offic can make data drive graphs, but OO can.)

This kind of data can help some one make decisions about equipment. So many times beginners (mostly) think they want the longest telephoto zoom they can find. But if they could look at the last 1,000 images they shot if they are like most people rarely was their existing lens zoomed all the way out. People tand to use the wide and mid range more.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
Personaly, I use Aperture for this since that's how I manage my photos anyway. If you purely want to just view EXIF data then EXIF Viewer(free) might be what you're looking for.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
Thank you for your suggestions. By looking at them, I found a library called exiftags, that allow you to parse the EXIF information from the jpg files. It is used by the EXIFViewer suggested by PkennethV (nice app, BTW). I have been looking for a excuse to start programming in OSX, and it looks like I finally found it. :D

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
Did you ever finish?

Thank you for your suggestions. By looking at them, I found a library called exiftags, that allow you to parse the EXIF information from the jpg files. It is used by the EXIFViewer suggested by PkennethV (nice app, BTW). I have been looking for a excuse to start programming in OSX, and it looks like I finally found it. :D

Did you ever create an exposureplot-like program for OS X?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.