Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Valindra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2022
I'm using an M1 chip macbook pro and recently, I just got a popup saying that services are recommended for my battery. I didn't know what to do so I decided to use the internet to help me get rid of the popup. I found multiple tutorials using this "calibration" method to make the popup disappear and now I'm considering if I should use the method or not. Should I use the calibration method to get rid of the "Service Recommended" popup?

kentzh

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2021
I am using an AlDente pro to calibrate the battery, it shows charging to 100, then discharging to 15, charging to 100, continuing to charge for 1 hour, discharging to 80, and a full battery calibration is done.

Reactions: cool11

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
I'm using an M1 chip macbook pro and recently, I just got a popup saying that services are recommended for my battery. I didn't know what to do so I decided to use the internet to help me get rid of the popup. I found multiple tutorials using this "calibration" method to make the popup disappear and now I'm considering if I should use the method or not. Should I use the calibration method to get rid of the "Service Recommended" popup?
Considering the M1 MBP is very likely under warranty, it is in your interest to get this to Apple and fixed before warranty expires. Battery should not be reporting "service needed" after year only, unless you happen to put ~3 full cycles on battery per day. Apple assumes life of battery 800 cycles (may be even more for current batteries). Calibration should not be needed (per Apple) and may not "fix" the issue permanently.
Let Apple deal with this and give you new battery.

Reactions: You’re not me
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.