Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I just got an extra 750GB external drive to backup some files I keep on my 500GB external. I'd like to have a copy of my iPhoto library on both drives, in case one decides to die.

Copying the files once a week won't work, since the library is approaching 200GB and I just bought a 5D... Heh.

Any help is appreciated. Basically I'd like to be able to import photos to two libraries at the same time, or quickly switch between them.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
or quickly switch between them.

If you hold down option as you start iPhoto you can quickly choose between libraries.

Some backup program might be able to keep them in sync but I know Chronosync only sees one file rather that the contents, perhaps rsync via terminal ?

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
Time Machine backup utility that comes with Leopard would be a good choice. It operates seamlessly in the background and after the initial backup, it only backs up new or changed files.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Some backup program might be able to keep them in sync but I know Chronosync only sees one file rather that the contents, perhaps rsync via terminal ?
FWIW, Chronosync can handle packages (like the iPhoto library) like it was a regular folder.

seenew said:
I just got an extra 750GB external drive to backup some files I keep on my 500GB external. I'd like to have a copy of my iPhoto library on both drives, in case one decides to die.
Do you use Time Machine? It will also backup your data that's on external drives.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Thanks for the tips!
Unfortunately, I haven't upgraded to Leopard yet, so the 'hold option' thing will do for now. I might look into Chronosync, but since I think I'll be getting Leopard in a few weeks, it might not be worth it (with Time Machine)

:) Thanks again!

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
I have heard that chronosynch has had issues corrupting iPhoto 08 libraries, though that was some time ago, so perhaps it's been fixed.

Google "iPhoto library manager". That is a great application for moving events and folders between iPhoto libraries. It's very easy and it's what I use to synch the same iPhoto library between my Macbook and iMac. Never thought of it for backup, until now!

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
Google iPhoto library manager. That is a great application for moving events and folders between iPhoto libraries. It's very easy and it's what I use to synch the same iPhoto library between my Macbook and iMac. Never thought of it for backup, until now!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE iPhoto Library Manager. I can keep my main library on my MBP hard drive nice and small, while moving older photos to archived libraries on my external hard drive.

It's one of my favorite apps!

chaseerry

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2006
Oklahoma
Anyone else often have conflicts arise when using Chronosync to sync iPhoto, or iTunes libraries between two Macs?

It is not every time, but some times. Could it be because I have possibly messed with both files/libraries, on my MacBook and iMac?

Any help appreciated!

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
What kind of conflicts?

Chronosync doesn't meld your two libraries together, taking changes within each version on either machine.

You have to choose a source and a target, and it will copy the source over to the target...so any changes on the target will be replaced.

hope that helps, if not, you might need to give more details on your actual problem

chaseerry

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2006
Oklahoma
I apologize for the lack of detail.

Your explanation and my experiences with the program have pointed me to this theory: I had my iPhoto and iTunes set up as a 'Bidirectional Sync', and I am guessing if one package/file changes on one computer, then that will kick a conflict.

With Bidirectional Sync set: Everything syncs fine including the pictures themselves (Modified, Original folders), but the .data and .iPhoto files sometimes kick out a conflict error.

With Mirror, Backup, Blind set: Everything goes fine.

Also, I followed the setup from Chronosync's website for an iPhoto sync.

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
Well, I learned something new!!!! bidirectional!!!! I think I forgot about that option!

okay, yeah, I looked at the help files, and yeah, it looks like it still works in the same way. one side still has to be the source (I think).....so if both have changes, but if the a changed file is newer on the target target, I wonder if that is what's messing it up. It will probably show a warning that the file you are replacing is older, and do you want to continue.

you know, what ever problem you are having, you can write to Chronosync site. they helped me with a question I had, and she was very patient, I was being very dumb and couldn't get it, and she kept going until I understood!!! they might be able to help you if you explain your file set up, and the exact errors you are receiving.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.