Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricecrispies

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
I have just bought a new Macbook, with Sonoma preinstalled, and I am in the process of transferring my data from my old Macbook.

One thing I very much want to take with me is the wallpaper I was using, "Catalina Silhouette", which, as the name suggests, was a leftover from a previous version of MacOS. Is there a way to do this?

I had to build my new home folder from scratch, rather than let the MacOS setup assistant copy it over the normal way, because of usability problems. Otherwise perhaps the wallpaper would have been copied over too.

I have found various discussions in forums suggesting various places that the wallpapers are supposed to be (mainly in various locations in /Library or /System/Library), but all I have managed to retrieve is an XML (.madesktop) file pointing to tiny thumbnail preview.

Does anyone know where I can find the full-resolution versions of the photo so that I can copy them to my new Macbook?

ricecrispies

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
UPDATE:
I've finally found the image in ~/LibraryApplication\ Support/com.apple.mobileAssetDesktop

It was on its own, so presumably only the currently selected wallpaper is stored there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.