Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgirl.dc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
I need to push out software using an MDM (Addigy) that requires Rosetta, and want to see what this will look like to the end-user, but my M1 Macs are already running Rosetta. Is there any way to uninstall Rosetta from an M1/Silicone Mac so I can run a realistic test?

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I didn’t find much on that request, although, you’re definitely not the only developer with that need/desire.

If you haven't already seen the following discussion thread from several months ago, near the M1 launch period.
Unfortunately...
fodda said:
I also need to remove Rosetta to test a launch problem with my app on an M1. I burned an Apple Technical Support ticket and was basically told that Rosetta can not be removed once installed. They suggested that I "use a VM for this sort of testing", but I don't know of any VM that could work for this (not to mention the hassle). Sigh.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I need to push out software using an MDM (Addigy) that requires Rosetta, and want to see what this will look like to the end-user, but my M1 Macs are already running Rosetta. Is there any way to uninstall Rosetta from an M1/Silicone Mac so I can run a realistic test?
I think your only solution is to wipe the machine and start over. Not great. Another reason why we need a MacOS Big Sur VM install.

Edit: Here is a solution reported in the developer thread posted by @MacCheetah3
Hi all,
I did find a way to remove Rosetta again, but it involves the Recovery because the files are SIP Protected.

1. Obtain a list of files/directories and LaunchAgents with: pkgutil --files com.apple.pkg.RosettaUpdateAuto
  2. Save them in a way that you can access them in the recovery
  3. Boot into recovery
  4. Make sure your disk is mounted
  5. delete the files from Disk
  6. reboot
I don't list the files here as the list might change with a later version of Rosetta.
I hope this helps everyone who is in the same Situation as I was.

Best Regards
Timo

Last edited:

macgirl.dc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
I think your only solution is to wipe the machine and start over. Not great. Another reason why we need a MacOS Big Sur VM install.

Edit: Here is a solution reported in the developer thread posted by @MacCheetah3

Thanks for that edit, @jdb8167 (and @MacCheetah3 !) I was getting resigned to wiping, but deleting from recovery mode looks like it should work!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.