Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hypmatize

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
SoCal
Not sure if the title is the right terminology so sorry if isn't quite worded right...

Anyway I have a picture that i want to use for a wallpaper on my mbp but its resolution is only 601 x 480.... so when i set it as my wallpaper it looks a tad pixelated.... I heard that you can make it better/ lessen the amount of pixelation with PS.....since I don't have PS i can't try it (probably wouldn't know how anyway :p) So if anyone can try to improve it for me I would greatly appreciated.

sorry if this is the wrong forum a mod can move it to the right one

Attachments

• Bahrain_flag_waving.jpg
    Bahrain_flag_waving.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 132

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
No matter what, you will still have pixelation. You can't add information to a picture.

hypmatize

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
SoCal
ah ok then for some reason i thought you could...so it wouldn't look better at all or it just won't be perfect? thanks for the quick replies:D

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
What you seem to want to do is take a picture that is x pixels wide and make it 2x pixels wide. If you had PhotoShop you could do this using resampling, but it is deceptive. An image only has it's original number of pixels. When you tell PhotoShop to increase that number, it looks at the pixels around the "hole" that would be created and makes up pixels it thinks are the right color. It winds up looking crappy because half of it is invented. There are tons of really great wallpaper images online, just keep looking. Go to the June Desktops thread in the pictures group and have a look at what's out there.

Dale

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
I guess the only way to get a better rez is to buy it from ... 9 bucks though damn that sucks...:(

I know, how horrible that you actually help compensate the photographer for their work that you seem to like enough to use as your wallpaper. :rolleyes:

I mean that is a lot of money, you might even have to skip a trip to Starbucks! :eek:

hypmatize

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
SoCal
I know, how horrible that you actually help compensate the photographer for their work that you seem to like enough to use as your wallpaper. :rolleyes:

I mean that is a lot of money, you might even have to skip a trip to Starbucks! :eek:

its not a real picture.... but yeah i understand what you are saying

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
I just read an article in some magazine...(can't remember which, I get so many) about a program that is supposed to revolutionize, so to speak, upscaling pictures. I'll dig around and see which program it is...

hypmatize

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
SoCal
I just read an article in some magazine...(can't remember which, I get so many) about a program that is supposed to revolutionize, so to speak, upscaling pictures. I'll dig around and see which program it is...

That would be great!

Thanks

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia

/sarcasm/ You mean you have to pay for pictures from a professional? :confused: /sarcasm/

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
That's where a higher MP sensor helps, since you can post a large photo of something, or just crop the image to a smaller size.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I just normally recreate the image in photoshop which varies in skill from each pic to the next.

Otherwise photoshop is very good at upscaling an image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.