Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeadTomorrow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2022
Hey, I design landscaping plans and have used Graphic on iPad for some years but it's no longer supported and is getting increasingly buggy.

I wondered if anyone knows of a similar app that would let me do simple things like:

- Set a scale size for the paper e.g. 1:50 or 1:100 etc
- draw vector lines and shapes and change their colours
- use layers

It's all super basic stuff but I'm struggling to find another app like this.

Reactions: BhaveshUK

DeadTomorrow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2022
Vectornator or Amadine are for example to free vector drawing programs for Mac&iPad. AutoCAD offers a free trial and has a reasonable subscription price.

EDIT: Omnigraffle fits.
Thank you, I don't mind paying for it. AutoCAD doesn't really do what I need it to in the ipad version, it's more a reader. The main programme is quite good but probably a bit over tooled for basic plan layouts. I will give the others you mentioned a try, exciting to try them! Thanks for you help.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
I did a quick check and it seems that OmniGraffle is the best choice - because it seems easy to set a scale. And it’s easy to get geometric dimensioning automatically:

A18CE3C5-87D8-4B4D-974F-ADAA1A7A5088.jpeg

BhaveshUK

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
Hey, I design landscaping plans and have used Graphic on iPad for some years but it's no longer supported and is getting increasingly buggy.

I wondered if anyone knows of a similar app that would let me do simple things like:

- use layers

You’ve brought back memories for me. Loved using Graphic on my iPad 2 back in the day.

No idea what happened to this app. Was unfortunately bought by Autodesk and then the updates just stopped 😕

Reactions: DeadTomorrow

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017

- use layers

Look into the "Concepts" app:

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Another vote for Vectornator (I made the switch from Graphic).
Vectornator runs on iPadOS and macOS, and is relatively easy to master.
Not to forget: it's free.

BhaveshUK

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
Another vote for Vectornator (I made the switch from Graphic).
Vectornator runs on iPadOS and macOS, and is relatively easy to master.
Not to forget: it's free.

I really enjoy using Vectornator as well. My biggest hesitation is that it is free 😅 How are they planning to sustain their business for the long-term if everything is free?

That’s why I feel much more comfortable with the Affinity suite for my main work. The pricing and business model is transparent.

DeadTomorrow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2022
I did a quick check and it seems that OmniGraffle is the best choice - because it seems easy to set a scale. And it’s easy to get geometric dimensioning automatically:

View attachment 2034868

You’ve brought back memories for me. Loved using Graphic on my iPad 2 back in the day.

No idea what happened to this app. Was unfortunately bought by Autodesk and then the updates just stopped 😕

Thanks for all of the advice and recommendations everyone. It sounds like Autodesk bought Graphic purely to shut it down, which is anti competitive and disappointing.

I'm also hesitant to use any free apps as I need something I can safely rely on to exist and be stable for many years to come.

I'll download and have a play around with all of your suggestions, thanks so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.