Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingKongGotNoBalls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2024
I'm talking about an app that is like the "Files app" on iOS, or anything alike. I just have some videos that are on my MacBook that I would like to have stored on my Apple TV to watch them offline without any internet connection at all. I have the 4th Generation Apple TV. Is this possible?

If not, I was thinking of maybe buying the 3rd generation Apple TV, could it be easier to locally store files there? How could that work as well?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Nope. First generation AppleTV had the fantastic ability to sync video to the device. With some third party hardware hacking, I believe as much as 2TB could be available on that thing- no internet or Mac or iDevice required.

And then Apple Inc. decided to "improve" on that by subtraction of that great feature.

If you want offline video storage, load up a portable hard drive or USB stick with your videos and then plug that into a TV with a USB port and use it in place of AppleTV.

OR, sync your videos to an iPhone or iPad and then you can either "throw" (via Airplay) that video to an AppleTV or connect the iDevice directly to a TV and watch from it. Some TVs have Airplay built in too.

You can also get yourself a device to direct connect that MacBook to a TV to watch anything stored on it. If it's a MBpro with an HDMI port, all you need is an HDMI cable. If it lacks HDMI, there are lots of little hubs that often include an HDMI port.

Last edited:

pdmpolishing

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Nope. First generation AppleTV had the fantastic ability to sync video to the device. With some third party hardware hacking, I believe as much as 2TB could be available on that thing- no internet or Mac or iDevice required.

And then Apple Inc. decided to "improve" on that by subtraction of that great feature.

If you want offline video storage, load up a portable hard drive or USB stick with your videos and then plug that into a TV with a USB port and use it in place of AppleTV.

OR, sync your videos to an iPhone or iPad and then you can either "throw" (via Airplay) that video to an AppleTV or connect the iDevice directly to a TV and watch from it. Some TVs have Airplay built in too.

You can also get yourself a device to direct connect that MacBook to a TV to watch anything stored on it. If it's a MBpro with an HDMI port, all you need is an HDMI cable. If it lacks HDMI, there are lots of little hubs that often include an HDMI port.
Totally agree the first gen Apple TV was a fantastic product for loading your own content onto the divice and being able to use it without a Mac or internet connection.
But Apple in it's wisdom took this feature away from us in future updates to the ATV, sometime I think Apple just don't listen to what it's customers want.

firewire9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2015
You can with VLC but tvOS will randomly delete the files if it decides that there isn’t enough storage for other things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.