Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bearygoodfries1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
I was carrying around my iPad in my backpack several weeks ago and when I pulled it out, the smudges (pictured) were left there. I assume I must have done something when I was carrying it around.

Is this fixable? I don’t have apple care.

I was planning on getting the new iPad and using this one as a homekit/family device, but with the current pandemic (and reviews for the new iPad Pro), I‘m going to stick with this one. The “smidges” annoy me, though...

Any advice?

Attachments

• 46EAB495-08E0-41F3-9C55-F5662EE5C17C.jpeg
    46EAB495-08E0-41F3-9C55-F5662EE5C17C.jpeg
    446.6 KB · Views: 196

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I was carrying around my iPad in my backpack several weeks ago and when I pulled it out, the smudges (pictured) were left there. I assume I must have done something when I was carrying it around.

Is this fixable? I don’t have apple care.

I was planning on getting the new iPad and using this one as a homekit/family device, but with the current pandemic (and reviews for the new iPad Pro), I‘m going to stick with this one. The “smidges” annoy me, though...

Any advice?
It's a bit hard to tell, but those smudges look like dead pixels.

Reactions: ericwn and secretk

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I agree these could be dead pixel- only a screen replacement will change those.

Maybe give Apple a call to check your options for service.

Bearygoodfries1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
Oh great... My one year warranty is done and I didn’t get Apple Care.

Looking at costs, I’m better off just getting a new iPad down the line.

Thanks everyone!

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Forgive me if I missed it, I didn’t see which iPad model that you‘re having issues with. If it’s a pro model then Apple doesn’t replace those screens. It cost around $600 for a replacement device. That reason alone is why I now buy AC on all my iPad pros, both personal and company. I skipped on AC for the 2015 12.9 pro. After I accidentally scratched the screen (completely my faul) and found out I’d need to pay $600 for a replacement unit, I decided AC wasn’t a bad option and now consider it just part of the purchase price when I’m needing to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.