Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreyFox1221

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
I don't have a card reader or anything else that takes an SD card, but when i plug in my camera iPhoto pops up and it isn't in the finder. Is there anyway to get pictures onto my camera? (Preferibly not using iPhoto)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Not sure why you want to do this, but, yes, you would need to have a card reader. You'd transfer the images from the folder where they are on your hard drive to the external drive (ie, card reader/flash card) and they should then be uploaded to the memory card.

cairo

macrumors regular
May 6, 2005
Atleast it does for me when I plug in my Sony digicam (memory stick)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
My entire camera is mounted when my D50 is plugged in, so in a way, I think I could use my D50 as a card reader, and so I could also probably write to it as well, since I can browse everything on the card from Finder. I've never tried it though.

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
He says his camera doesn't show up in the Finder, so it must connect in another way to the computer. iPhoto can handle it, but to access your card as a disk, I'm afraid you're gonna have to get a card reader.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
There are some Canon cameras, like the PowerShot series (at least the SDs) that don't show up in finder and you have to use iPhoto or Image Capture to get the pictures off of them. When this is the case the only way to put pictures back onto the card is to get a card reader.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
In the camera's settings there should be an option:

USB: Mass Storage or PTP.

When set to Mass Storage, it will show up on your desktop, if set to PTP it will show up only in iPhoto/ImageCapture.

My Nikon D50, Sony Cybershot and HP R700 all do it this way.

It's worth poking around in the camera settings for it.

GreyFox1221

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
I'll try that PTP thing. BTW the reason I want to get photos back onto my camer is so that I can hook it up to the dock to print out after I PS them.

Mr. Jones

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2006
Twin Cities
GreyFox1221 said:
I'll try that PTP thing. BTW the reason I want to get photos back onto my camer is so that I can hook it up to the dock to print out after I PS them.
Wouldn't it be easier just to hook the printer up to the computer?

pinkpie08

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2008
help!!

i put pictures on my computer but want to put them bak onto the camera can soomeone help???:(:(

JNB

macrumors 604
i put pictures on my computer but want to put them bak onto the camera can soomeone help???:(:(

Read the entire thread above your post, it contains several solutions. If those won't work, try giving more specific information as to your camera, computer, and what your need for returning photos to the camera's storage are, so we can come up with a good answer, and maybe find a better alternative.

pinkpie08

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2008
help!!!

my cam is a canon..
my computer is iqon..
and the reason i want 2 put my pics bak is so i can bring my memory card down 2 the photo shop and get them printed..!!!:(:(

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
my cam is a canon..
my computer is iqon..
and the reason i want 2 put my pics bak is so i can bring my memory card down 2 the photo shop and get them printed..!!!:(:(

Did you check with the camera shop and see if you could e-mail them, or upload the pictures to them?

Getting a card ready is by far the easiest way to do this.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
You know, many inkjet printers from HP, and Epson have built in card readers now. You might have one and not even know it. if you do, just plug your card into the slot on the printer, as as long as the printer is connected via USB to your Mac, you should see the disk pop up on your desktop...

Another thought is to put the pictures on a flash drive and see if your camera shop can accept them that way...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.