Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZilzilaStriken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
I want to erase my Mac mini M1 completely and reinstall OS, but I do not have Apple keyboard and mouse. I managed to click the options in the recovery assistant with a wired keyboard. But then it goes to black screen asking me to turn on/pair apple keyboard and mouse.

I cannot get past this screen without having an Apple keyboard and mouse. I had difficulty while setting up this M1 Mac mini and had to enable accessibility mouse keys and managed to complete the initial setup. I use Logitech MX keys as I use Windows workstations as well.

I am thinking to trade in this for a laptop rather than getting an Apple keyboard and mouse. But cannot erase this thing without apple keyboard and mouse. Anyone came across this and any success?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don't think you need and Apple keyboard. Your wired USB keyboard should be fine. Pairing is just a bluetooth thing. Try escape when that screen comes up and see what happens, or maybe cmd-Q to quit the bluetooth setup assistant.

ZilzilaStriken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
- I have tried every key on the USB connected keyboard > no go
- Just tried cmd + Q as you said > no go
- Also had tried to pair the Logitech keyboard and mouse > no go
- also had tried to turn on accessibility using opt+cmd+F5 > no go like initial setup

ZilzilaStriken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
I don't think you need and Apple keyboard. Your wired USB keyboard should be fine. Pairing is just a bluetooth thing. Try escape when that screen comes up and see what happens, or maybe cmd-Q to quit the bluetooth setup assistant.

- I have tried every key on the USB connected keyboard > no go
- Just tried cmd + Q as you said > no go
- Also had tried to pair the Logitech keyboard and mouse > no go
- also had tried to turn on accessibility using opt+cmd+F5 > no go like initial setup

ZilzilaStriken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
The mouse is shown at the corner of the black screen > maybe a wired mouse may help. But I don’t have one unfortunately

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Are you near an Apple Store? You could take it in and explain the situation and see if they can reimage it for you.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The mouse is shown at the corner of the black screen > maybe a wired mouse may help. But I don’t have one unfortunately
So if you don’t have a wired mouse, how do you control the cursor? You must have a wireless mouse then, right? Bluetooth? Pair it.

ZilzilaStriken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
So if you don’t have a wired mouse, how do you control the cursor? You must have a wireless mouse then, right? Bluetooth? Pair it.
I do have a Bluetooth mouse but it is not apple, it’s a Logitech MX anywhere. I cannot pair it. It only shows apple keyboard and mouse picture and asking to turn both of them to ON position. Not detecting any Logitech.

ZilzilaStriken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
I’m surprised that the Logitech mouse won’t pair.
Yeah, it does pair once logged in. But not on initial setup or from this new recovery assistant to erase disk. Also, it is already paired in the OS, still does not work while booting to recovery assistant. It’s Literally if you are buying a Mac mini, then buy an apple keyboard and mouse. Better to buy a laptop instead and dock it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.