Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clarke_G

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2020
Speaking as a lady with tiny wrist (140 mm). The Ultra has some of the things I've been dreaming about for years for an Apple Watch (longer battery life, a noticeable change of design). Now the AW Ultra comes out, but it only exists in a unique size - a very BIG Size.
Do you think Apple is ever going to make a small version of the AW Ultra? Something like a 40-42 mm case to fit small wrists? I'm surprised they didn't make it already. From what I've been hearing, they've left out a big slice of potential customers just because they don't have a smaller size.
Right now, I have a SS Series 5 40 mm. I was hoping for a watch with a noticeable design change and better battery life to upgrade. Well, series 8 is disappointing, except for a 1 mm (literally) bigger screen, I wouldn't gain anything I'm intersted in, which is the reason I didn't upgrade last year. The AW Ultra isn't the *perfect* Apple Watch for me yet (that would be a round, thinner, stainless steel AW with a 40-42 mm case and at least 30 hours of battery life), but if it'd have come out with a smaller size I would have gladly purchased it. So no, Apple isn't gaining any money from me this year, since I will hold onto my SS series 5 for at least another year, hoping for a REAL upgrade on the series 9 or a smaller version of the Ultra 2.
Even Garmin offers the Fenix 7 at a 42 mm size...
Thoughts? Speculations? Hopes?

This is *literally* my dad's watch on my wrist. Looks good on him, not on me. I'm glad for anyone is liking their AW Ultra.

tempImageVt8hmQ.jpg
tempImageERFWt4.jpg

Last edited:

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I’m sure they will. I expect a part of the reason for the large size is because of the size of the components. I’ve seen pictures of the inside of the watch and everything seems to be packed super tightly. There didn’t seem to be much space at all. But over time tech always miniaturizes and so I expect we will see something smaller.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
The better battery life is mostly because of the bigger case and so if they would make a smaller Ultra, you would lose that benefit and and up with worse battery again.
So you will lose one of the things you like about the Ultra and you would also get a watch maybe as big as the 41mm one, but with a screen maybe even smaller than the old 38mm Apple Watch.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Maybe in a few years if there are breakthroughs in battery efficiency and more miniaturization of all the components. The ULTRA is chock full of goodies.

The size isn’t just for those reasons, either. A large screen is needed for some outdoor activities. If you’re diving, skiing (water/snow), mountain biking, etc, you’ll need that larger screen to easily get all the various readings aside from the time.

A 45 could do a lot of those things, except battery. As of today, though, I can’t see a 40 do anything of this.

Clarke_G

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2020
The better battery life is mostly because of the bigger case and so if they would make a smaller Ultra, you would lose that benefit and and up with worse battery again.
So you will lose one of the things you like about the Ultra and you would also get a watch maybe as big as the 41mm one, but with a screen maybe even smaller than the old 38mm Apple Watch.
I'm aware, but AW historically has minimal differences in terms of battery life between the 38/42, 40/44 and 41/45 mm cases. I wouldn't ask for THE SAME battery life of the 49 mm Ultra, but if the 49 mm has a 36 hours BL, I'd ask for a 24 hours BL on a 42 mm Ultra AW. Sounds reasonable to me, and still a better Battery Life than the 18 hours series 8.

Yorkieray

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2020
Leeds UK
I don't think that there will be a smaller version of the Ultra, but I do think that Apple could include some of the design elements from the Ultra in the Watch S9.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.