Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vampireszombies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Texas
Hi, just a quick question: Is there tax when you purchase a MBP from MacConnection or MacMall?
Both of them show the "price before tax and shipping" and I thought I heard from people awhile back that there wasnt tax at these online stores just like amazon.
Yes I could check myself, but it looks like I have to enter all my information before I can see the Final price before entering my credit card info.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
Depends on where you live -- some states charge tax for online purchases regardless if the online store has a physical presence in the state.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
A simple Google search could have answered your questions :)

From the MacMall website:
Tax Rate
In accordance with state and local law, your MacMall order will be taxed using the applicable sales tax or seller's use tax rate for your shipping address. If the tax rate changes before your purchase is shipped, the rate in effect at the time your order ships will apply.

MacConnection:
Sales taxes
For a full list of states for which we charge sales tax, please see the purchase price section of our Terms and Conditions of Sale.
http://www.macconnection.com/sitecore/content/IPA/Content/About/Legal/PCCEXP/TermsConditionsSale.aspx

vampireszombies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Texas
Sorry that's so hard for you, but you're from Texas so we understand :)

Thanks for your help.
I don't really want to register for a site I might not even pruchase from. I was looking for answers from people who used the sites before.
Ah macrumors, the place where few actually answer questions without scrutinizing people. ;)

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I have to ask two questions:

1. How do you manage to switch on the computer?

2. Do you dress yourself in the morning?

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
However, even if MacMall doesn't collect your local state tax, you still have to report your purchase to the state and pay the tax yourself...

I'm sure everyone does that, right? :D:D:D

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland

I bought my MBP from Apple and paid full sales tax... but no, I probably wouldn't report my online purchases.

By the way, I wonder which tax applies if one makes a purchase in a different state. I know that if you buy a car out of state, you have to pay up the difference when you register it.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Thanks this is what I wanted to hear. I thought for some reason it depended on the store itself not the state, this is good news :)

It does depend on the store itself. If they have a physical location in your state then they're required to collect sales tax. But wait, someone told you that at the very beginning.

Oh, that's right. You're from Texas. We'll type slow for ya. :D

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Thanks this is what I wanted to hear. I thought for some reason it depended on the store itself not the state, this is good news :)

I posted the info for you directly from their websites. It's info you could have looked up yourself. It does depend on the store, not the state. If the store has any sort of presence in your state, they're required to collect sales tax.

Or you could just go to the websites, enter in your info and find out for yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.