Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacJenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I have been thinking about this for months and after an exhaustive search of everything (research) I have come to the conclusion this is what I want. This equipment fills my needs.

This is all coming from Adorama:

1. Nikon D90 with 2 lenses: 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED VR and the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 ED-IF AF-S VR. ($1499)

2. Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens ($109)

3. Nikon SB-600 Flash kit ($172)

4. Nikon ML-L3 Remote ($17)

5. Nikon D90 2 year extended warranty ($65)

6. Lowepro Fastpack 250 camera bag ($89)

7. SanDisk 8GB Extreme III SDHC card 30 MB's Edition ($79)

I can get all of this with 3 day shipping (UPS) for $2,030. All are Nikon USA warranty and Adorama is a authorized reseller of Nikon as most of you know.

My question is that a good setup and price (I come here last because you guys are great and knowledgable). Also is there anything else I need. I already got a nice tripod. I know I threw a lot out there and I'm sorry. I know I can probably find a few of the items a little cheaper somewhere else, but I want to buy it all in one place just in case they might give me an additional discount plus it is easier for me that way.

Qianlong

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2004
7. SanDisk 8GB Extreme III SDHC card ($79)

maybe for 50 usd, but 79 is over priced.

I've got the feeling B&H, Adorama sell their cams and lenses cheap, but ask a lot for things like memory cards and filters.

You could also save some money and buy the 18-55 VR instead of the 18-105? With the money saved you could buy the 50 1.4 or save for an ultra wide lens (ex Tokina 11-16, 12-24,...)?

Or spend some more on the better 16-85 VR?

MacJenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
7. SanDisk 8GB Extreme III SDHC card ($79)

maybe for 50 usd, but 79 is over priced.

I've got the feeling B&H, Adorama sell their cams and lenses cheap, but ask a way lot for things like memory cards and filters.

You could also save some money and buy the 18-55 VR instead of the 18-105? With the savinga you could buy the 50 1.4 or save for a ultra wide lens (ex Tokina 11-16, 12-24,...)?

Or spend some more on the better 16-85 VR?

The $1499 price I mentioned for the D90 comes as a kit with those lenses. I did a lot of research and most people think those 2 are pretty good lenses. I will buy more lenses later of course.

I just sold my D40 with my lenses for a good price which is why I'm kind of starting from scratch. I really like the D90. A good friend has one and I have messed with it. It felt right for me.

The card I know I can get cheaper which is why I will try to get them to come down some when I place my order. I heard they will work with you. I just find it more convenient to buy from one company and paying $20 more for a small item when I'm getting good price on almost everything else is alright with me.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
One suggestion...ask if they have the Kata 3n1-20 bag...in place of the LowePro. Search youtube for the Kata demos.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Seems fair. I'd pass on the extended warranty. I have never had an occasion when I have regretted not getting an extended warranty.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Yu are buying WAY to much gear for a beginner. (I assume you are based on the question.) you don't need that 300mm f/5.6 lens. long f/5.6 zooms tend not to be used much. I don't see a tripod on the list. Spend the mony saved on the lens on a tripod.

My advice wouldbe to buy the D90 body with just the 18-135 lens then AFTER you have shot about 2,000 frames think about what shots you could not get then buy the lens that address that problem. You can NOT know now what that will be.

XianPalin

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Yu are buying WAY to much gear for a beginner. (I assume you are based on the question.) you don't need that 300mm f/5.6 lens. long f/5.6 zooms tend not to be used much. I don't see a tripod on the list. Spend the mony saved on the lens on a tripod.

My advice wouldbe to buy the D90 body with just the 18-135 lens then AFTER you have shot about 2,000 frames think about what shots you could not get then buy the lens that address that problem. You can NOT know now what that will be.

I'd probably agree with this, though you've had a D40 so you might know what you're looking for in lenses already. Also, I've discovered that you can get used lenses for a lot cheaper than new, and for the most part it doesn't matter much. The Fredmiranda forums (forget the rules for external forum linking here so I'll just let you google it) are extremely active on their buy/sell area so it's a good place to look. Some of the deals are so good I spend a lot of time browsing and then talking myself out of buying :p

Out of curiosity, what did you get for your D40 (and what accessories)?

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Yu are buying WAY to much gear for a beginner. (I assume you are based on the question.) you don't need that 300mm f/5.6 lens. long f/5.6 zooms tend not to be used much.

I disagree, if you know you are going to be taking a lot of wildlife/nature/bird/zoo pictures then the 70-300VR is a great lens that gets a lot of use, I have even done a lot of candid portraits with it, also see the thread in NikonCafe with the 70-300VR sweetzone pics.

The 50 prime would not be needed as an initial lens purchase but I have a setup very similar to the OP and a prime is next on my list just to expand my skill set. You just have to think of your intended use of the camera, if you just want an all around walk around lens and don't want to change lenses like my girlfriend then you look at something like the 18-200VR, however if you want the extra reach for wildlife/nature/bird/zoo pictures like myself then the kit lens plus the 70-300VR is a good choice.

Likewise unless you plan on doing a lot of night shots and long exposures then a tripod isn't really necessary, I just find tripods to be way too limiting unless you are taking a nightscape photo.

An external flash is also not an initial requirement unless you intend to do a lot of portraits so if you can't tell by now it very much depends on your intended use of the camera as to what you should get!

In answer to the OP's original question though, yes that is a VERY good deal! I paid about the same as that for my kit (D90 + 18-105, 70-300VR, a Qantaray backpack, 4GB SD, filters thrown in & extended warranty but you have a lot more goodies in yours. Now I feel a little ripped off! :(

In regards to the Lowepro Fastpack 250, I later upgraded to that bag myself and LOVE it. The only shortfalls of it is that it doesn't have a built-in all weather cover like most Lowepro bags and there is no mount build in to strap on your tripod. Others have stated the lack of a sternum strap to be a negative but it has a waist strap and I feel it provides excellent support, haven't worn it all day yet but have for half a day of hiking plus have carried it through multiple airports when traveling, it held up very well for me!

MacJenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

I sold my D40 with 2 Nikon lenses for $500.

I did like the Kata bag, but the Lowepro has a laptop compartment that I need.

I'm not a beginner (I have owned the D40 for the last 2 years and taken a lot of pictures--not an expert, but not a beginner either) and as I stated in my original post, I have a nice tripod.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
One suggestion...ask if they have the Kata 3n1-20 bag...in place of the LowePro. Search youtube for the Kata demos.

I just checked that bag out (Kata 3n1-20) and it is awesome. I have seen a ton of bags and owned my share, but that one is one of the best bags I have seen (probably the best for all it can do--amazing). It is very, very well constructed. Luckily they had it at my local camera store (I bought it--it was on sale and also came with the tripod holder included). Thanks for the recommendation.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Seems like too much money. The last time I put together a kit, I bought the

Nikon D300 and MB-D10 grip, 2 batteries $1000
Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AFD $350
Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8 AF $180
Nikon SB-800, Nikon off cable cord, Stroboframe flash bracket $300
3x Sandisk Extreme III 30mbps 4GB Cards Free after rebate (got the rebate)

So a total of $1830. Plenty left over for the best bag, a Mack 5 year warranty if that's your cuppa tea and a nice tripod (already had the bag and tripod).

Yes, it was all very lightly used but everything works great, its all under warranty (I have the receipts and all boxes) and its a much better kit. I traded the 35-70 off and I'm getting the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S but that's another $1200.

Bargain hunt a little and get nice gear for almost nothing :) Check ebay, craigslist, keh, fred miranda etc for deals.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
Seems like too much money. The last time I put together a kit, I bought the

Nikon D300 and MB-D10 grip, 2 batteries $1000
Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AFD $350
Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8 AF $180
Nikon SB-800, Nikon off cable cord, Stroboframe flash bracket $300
3x Sandisk Extreme III 30mbps 4GB Cards Free after rebate (got the rebate)

So a total of $1830. Plenty left over for the best bag, a Mack 5 year warranty if that's your cuppa tea and a nice tripod (already had the bag and tripod).

Yes, it was all very lightly used but everything works great, its all under warranty (I have the receipts and all boxes) and its a much better kit. I traded the 35-70 off and I'm getting the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S but that's another $1200.

Bargain hunt a little and get nice gear for almost nothing :) Check ebay, craigslist, keh, fred miranda etc for deals.

Wow that is a good deal. Personally I don't like to buy used stuff (unless I know the person). I know that is stupid and I pay a premium that way, but that is how I am. The OP is still getting a good deal considering it is brand new with a Nikon warranty and a Nikon manufacture extended warranty.

Off topic a little: The D300 is awesome, but the D90 is really nice also and better IMO for the amateur who wants to learn and get better. Almost anyone can use the D90 and then use the more advanced features later as they get better/learn more. The D300 has a much bigger learning curve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.