Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclad

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
UK
IMG_0735.PNG

Two years ago, I exchanged a few emails titled "Eileen's wedding photo" with a lady, I'll call her P, then she stopped replying to my other emails to her on different subjects.

Yesterday, I received an email supposedly from P, see above. P's name and email are as before, and I thought that maybe her replies had got lost in the ether, so I clicked the "Display message" button, expecting the text to appear in the same way as an image appears after clicking a download button at the bottom of an email. However, it sent me to a tab in Safari which said something to the effect that I had not logged in for a long time to Mobile Me (I'm 95% sure it said Mobile Me) and I should enter my password. I DID NOT ENTER MY PASSWORD, instead I closed the tab. I have looked at my history, but cannot determine the complete address, the incomplete web address is:-

message-read.external...wJUtjk=#RANDOM_7%23

Later, I clicked on the "Display message" button again but it immediately redirected me to:-

message-read.externalmail-inbox.host

Then immediately redirected to:-

business-news.bbc-1.si... Panorama Investigates: The Bitcoin

Presumably the first address probably also includes "mail-inbox" and thus more of the address becomes:-

message-read.externalmail-inbox...wJUtjk=#RANDOM_7%23

Can anyone tell me how I can copy an address in Safari history on an iPad, holding my finger tip on the address does not seem to do anything?

Is it likely that I have actually downloaded anything, I am particularly concerned if I have downloaded any malware, however I have not clicked on anything else. I cannot find any evidence of downloads, but where would the downloads appear?

I have forwarded the email to reportphishing@apple.com

Note: I wonder if the scammer has obtained access to P's hotmail account or has obtained the old computer of her's. Whatever, I am reluctant to email her.
Also, strangly Mobile Me ended in 2012, so the scammer is a bit behind the times!

Additionally, I actually still have what I assume is, the original "re:re:" email that P sent to me.

My computer has died and so this has all been done on my ipad.

Last edited:

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
great details.
interesting.
and you certainly are careful. :)
i dont think you have anything to worry about; its an old email/computer/account that was hacked several years.
i tried to think how you can get the address, but was not able to find a way.

somewhat similar, i get on average 1 time per year or maybe even 1 time per two years, a similar email from some kind of place that also (presumably) hacked a business associate of mine.
the email address appears to be from him (but of course it isnt), and its asking to click on some link.
the thing that i find so interesting is that this has been happening since around 2009. and then only get this kind of scam email 1 time every few years.
i cant figure out the marketing or business strategy of such a phishing company. its clearly the same company doing it every time. but so infrequently and so old of an idea.

Reactions: maclad
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.