Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hello;
Apologies if I have been posting a lot in this forum lately, but given how buggy macOS releases have become, I'm trying to understand if I have a slightly faulty machine on my hands or if the troubles I'm experiencing are software glitches that will eventually be patched.
I have shot 2 videos showcasing the problem.

The machine in question:
2021 MacBook Pro 16"
M1 Max 10-32 Core
64GB Ram
1TB SSD
MacOs 12.2 Monterey (latest beta)

Video 01:
When I have an external display plugged in via USB-C (either one of the ports) it often has this weird display glitch before settling down into a stable state; doesn't matter the cable I'm using.
You can notice the glitch on the display on the right (I'm 100% sure the display itself works properly)

Video 02:
If I open the computer with no additional displays connected, I see this weird flickering where it changes brightness around before settling into a stable state

Video 03:
This is a video showcasing the display ghosting in slow motion with promotion enabled.
By what I could gather from some reddit posts I'm pretty sure this is normal, although annoying, behaviour but I'd still like to know what you think of it.

I'd like to know if this is normal, although a bit weird behaviour, or if you think my display is somehow faulty.
I'd like to specify that once I'm in the OS I have no glitches...
Given how Big Sur used to have similar problems with external displays, I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a matter of software.

Also, it seems like the OS is pretty slow to boot inside the OS.
Does it take you roughly the same time?

The last thing that doesn't convince me is the bluetooth...I often get disconnections with my mouse or keyboard, however I experienced the same issue on my mac mini M1, and I know for a fact this is unfortunately nothing new for recent macs...

Should I ask for a replacement, do you think I'll be able to keep using this machine while I wait for the new one to be delivered to me? (Considering it'll take at least 6 weeks).
Thank you so much for being patient with my threads.

StoneJack

macrumors 68030
Dec 19, 2009
Try with another
monitor
change cable
change port
use another hub
install real update not beta
reinstall os
try resetting pram and cms

probably a beta glitch

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
Can you plug USB-C directly into your monitor without the dock? I have an M32U 4K 32" here and it works fine.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Can you plug USB-C directly into your monitor without the dock? I have an M32U 4K 32" here and it works fine.
It is already connected to the computer without the dock.
Anyway what about the behaviour with no secondary display attached?
Maybe it's normal behaviour, but I have no other friend with a mac I could ask to check.

Try with another
monitor
change cable
change port
use another hub
install real update not beta
reinstall os
try resetting pram and cms

probably a beta glitch
The problem was the same in the non beta 12.1
Anyway what about the behaviour with no display attached?

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
Is your USB-C 3.2? Should get that at least or a Thunderbolt 3 cable. I am running 3.2 + TB 3 cables.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Is your USB-C 3.2? Should get that at least or a Thunderbolt 3 cable. I am running 3.2 + TB 3 cables.
It is.
Anyway, if you have a macbook pro too, could you kindly test if your machine does the same with no external display enabled? Talking about the brightness dancing around before settling in (once in the desktop).

Spotlighter9

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2021
For Video 02...I can confirm that my 16" M1 Pro 16GB does that same exact flickering to the wallpaper when booting up from shutdown.

For Video 03...I have the same ghosting effect, although it's more apparent in dark mode. It doesn't really bother me.

I'm not using a second display so I really can't opine on Video 01.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
For Video 02...I can confirm that my 16" M1 Pro 16GB does that same exact flickering to the wallpaper when booting up from shutdown.

For Video 03...I have the same ghosting effect, although it's more apparent in dark mode. It doesn't really bother me.

I'm not using a second display so I really can't opine on Video 01.
Thank you!
This surely makes me feel better.
I'd hope to receive a confirmation from other 2021 macbook pro owners.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.