Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
I got a Sony Cyber-Shot W50 for Christmas, and have noticed some dust under in the LCD screen. I didn't know how it was getting in there, but I just noticed yesterday that the entire top edge of the plastic screen cover is no longer attached to the camera. I don't know if I really want to call Sony about it. On one hand I don't want the dust to get any worse, and I don't want the cover to fall completely off the screen. BUT if I send it in they will probably send me a refurb, which Im not sure I want. So which is better a new camera with some dust in the screen, and a screen cover that might fall off in the future, or a refurb?

What would you do?

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Why not call and see what your options are instead of wondering or assuming what they would be? :eek: I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm honestly asking. :eek:

I will call tomorrow. Im just assuming they will offer me a refurb, if anything. If so should I take the refurb or keep this one?

bmat

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
Well, if it's falling apart, I'd rather have a refurb. Of course, they may just say you dropped it and that's why it's falling apart. I'm not saying that's what you did, but rather what they just may try to argue.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Sony are usually good about things like this. About a year ago I got a DSC T-9, which I dropped from my lap, while at a bar. The camera was in a soft case, but apparently I bumped the LCD and fried it. I called Sony, and they told me to mail the camera to their factory. I got it back within a week with the LCD replaced.
In your case, they'll probably give you a new one.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
....the entire top edge of the plastic screen cover is no longer attached to the camera.

What is a "screen cover"? If it is that plastic film? You are supposed to peel it off and throw it away. It is only intended to protect the LCD screen during shipping.

If not this then what is a "plastic screen cover"? Screens are made of glass and are not covered with plastic.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
What is a "screen cover"? If it is that plastic film? You are supposed to peel it off and throw it away. It is only intended to protect the LCD screen during shipping.

If not this then what is a "plastic screen cover"? Screens are made of glass and are not covered with plastic.

When was the last time you saw a digital camera with a glass screen? It's got an LCD screen, and a protective hard plastic "screen cover" not a plastic film. The top part of the screen cover is loose, and dust is getting between the LCD, and the hard plastic cover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.