Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you experience problems using YT PIP as a non-Premium user since 15.0.1

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I actually didn’t know that it worked at all using Safari.

• I heard that it might work, but it never did for me.

• Total voters

Reggaenald

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 26, 2021
Last week, the day iOS 15.0.1 was released, I completely reset my iPhone to the first official release of 15, set it up as new, updated to 15.0.1 and set it up without restoring anything. I did this in order to hopefully relief the battery and „fix“ some bugs… I‘m not going into detail about the latter. But since then, I have to use the YT PIP shortcut again to make it work (with YT open in Safari) almost every time; previously I didn’t need to use it at all. Also, usually the mobile website is loaded although in website settings I turned on to always load the desktop site, reloading fixes this, but still it’s annoying, especially at night because the mobile website doesn’t support dark mode… thank you YouTube.
I believe that that day or the day after YouTube began to only support PIP for US Premium subscribers, but I’m not entirely sure. I read some headlines but didn’t really care because, disclaimer, I’m not from the US, nor do I pay for Premium. My extensions and settings are as far as I’m concerned alike to what I had set up before, yet there is this funky business going on.
To get to my question, is someone else experiencing similar problems since 15.0.1?
Also, I need to ask this, for the record. Did some YT person sleep with an iOS engineer? Because ever since the first beta of 15 you can’t scrub through a PIP video or sound in the Control Center or Notification Center, you can only use the rewind or forward 10 seconds buttons, which actually only do 5 seconds at a time. And why are the buttons different in the Control Center and Notification Center, compared to the PIP window 15 sec buttons. iOS 15 is a worse mess than 13.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.