Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregrb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2016
I have a mac pro tower 1,1 (which has had various upgrades done by the previous owner).

The Mac has started to have some intermittent issues at start up.

When booting up sometimes horizontal lines are appearing across the screen, and then it's either hanging on grey screen or blue screen, or loading up but displaying small pink squares. Then when either switched of and on again or restarted (usually a couple of times) , or with option held down and told what is to boot in to it then works fine with no issues? Always after a few power off's then ons it boots up fine???

I use the mac with a screen attached but also via realvnc as I control it via a pc using an eye gaze (like professor Stephen Hawking) and the screen issue has shown up via that as well as direct on the macs screen so I'm guessing that rules out screen cable issues etc? I also have tried a prim reset already.

I wondered if anyonr knows what the problem is like to be / have come across this before? And know how to fix this etc,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.