Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greenhoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2008
Hi, am trying to flash my 2009 Mac Pro firmware to 5,1 although I"m having a bit of an issue, I'm doing everything correct as I've read up on very throughly although when my Mac Pro restarts it does the loading phase which shows it updating during the white screen but normally after the firmware goes through the installing processes your Mac Pro should reset but mine doesn't, it jus goes goes to my login and my firmware hasn't been updated.

Now every time I restart my Mac Pro it shows the firmware installing progress then boots right into loading so it seems to be stuck somewhere and I can't seem to fix it. Has anyone had this issue or know how to fix it?

Edit: I was able to get it working by reinstalling OSX

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
If you mean the Apple logo with the loading bar below it, that's the normal OS loading screen, not firmware update screen.

Anyway, you didn't mention what have you done. There is no way to know what's wrong.

Philocetes

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2016
I tried the flash process on my 2009 and it failed with an error like 5570. That referred to some sort of download problem. Then I downloaded and ran the official apple 5.1 update and it said my system wasn't supported. Then, I ran the unofficial flash again and it worked. Don't know what happened or why, just have the one 2009 and the deed is done...

Oh, and afterwards held the power button down until the tone and all that.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I tried the flash process on my 2009 and it failed with an error like 5570. That referred to some sort of download problem. Then I downloaded and ran the official apple 5.1 update and it said my system wasn't supported. Then, I ran the unofficial flash again and it worked. Don't know what happened or why, just have the one 2009 and the deed is done...

Oh, and afterwards held the power button down until the tone and all that.

That's normal, because you have to download the firmware by yourself. By running the official firmware updater, you mount the required image file on the desktop, Therefore, the 4,1 to 5,1 upgrade tool can function normally.

Reactions: Philocetes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.