Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This morning in MR posts, using my iPad 2 and iOS 11, I’m noticing issues trying to imbed url links into text, can’t get it to happen. And when I tried imbedding a video using the insert video icon at the top of every post, it refused to work, but when I copied the video url directly into the text, the video appeared as a video in the post (as if I had used the insert video icon) and not a url link.

See post 42 on this page for the video:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/thumb-injury-from-orange-fruit.885255/page-2*

*Just now tried to inbed this link in the text “this page” using the insert url icon, it refused to happen.
So, is this a Safari, ios 11, or MacRumors issue? I’m using an iPad2 Air.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I just did this on my iPhone with iOS 11 and the media embed pop up seemed to work fine.

Do you maybe have a content blocker that is breaking this?

For YT videos you can just paste the link right into the post and the forum software will recognize it and apply the media tags, so you don't even need to use the embed tool.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I just did this on my iPhone with iOS 11 and the media embed pop up seemed to work fine.

Do you maybe have a content blocker that is breaking this?

For YT videos you can just paste the link right into the post and the forum software will recognize it and apply the media tags, so you don't even need to use the embed tool.

The only change is that ios11 got installed on my iPad, which may have changed something. This morning, the imbed url link into text issue continues. When I select text to imbed a url link, and complete the task using the “link icon”, at the top of the form, the link is not embedded.

I noticed when I posted this thread that If I used the imbed “media url link” icon to post a video it did not appear in the post, yet I could post the video url directly into a post like a normal url link, and then the video appeared.
[doublepost=1506957547][/doublepost]

This video was inserted by pasting the video’s url directly into the body of the message, not by using the enter media url link at the top of the form, which does not work for me.

I’m happy to entertain any suggestions, especially for using imbedded url links into text instead of posting the entire raw url in a post.

Later today, I’ll try this on my MBP, see if the same behavior is displayed, and report back.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I see what you mean. I am now on an iPad with iOS 11 and I see the embed pop up when I tap it and I can paste the link in, but nothing happens when I tap okay to do the embed.

Until this gets sorted out, there is no harm just posting the YT URL directly into the post since the forum software will recognize it as media and add the tags for you.

I'll pass this issue along though.

Reactions: Huntn

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This morning in MR posts, I’m noticing issues trying to imbed url links into text, can’t get it to happen. And when I tried imbedding a video using the insert video icon at the top of every post, it refused to work, but when I copied the video url directly into the text, the video appeared as a video in the post (as if I had used the insert video icon) and not a url link.

See post 42 on this page for the video:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/thumb-injury-from-orange-fruit.885255/page-2*

*Just now tried to inbed this link in the text “this page” using the insert url icon, it refused to happen.
So, is this a Safari, ios 11, or MacRumors issue? I’m using an iPad2 Air.

Looking into this

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.