Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cezinho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I cannot open the WhatsApp desktop app on MacOS Catalina 10.15 beta 4 (19A512f).

Not sure if this is related to the limited functionality of the beta, but the issue looks like this:
  1. Click on Applications > WhatsApp to open the app
  2. Error message shows up
  3. Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General
  4. Click on Allow apps downloaded from > App Store and identified developers > Open Anyway
  5. The Open Anyway button does not do anything
Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 3.34.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 3.34.19 PM.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: OSX15

NecRosex

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2019
babyLon
Experienced it trying to open Firefox (when there is a Firefox update) it just won't open as it attempts to run its integrated software update and update Firefox to the newest version.
I haven't been able to bypass this, but downloading the newest version and launching that one is okay and works as it eliminates the need for it to update.
It's most likely either 3-rd party Apps not optimised for Catalina yet or macOS itself. It should be addressed at some point during the beta stage. File a report. The more the reports the more likely will Apple look into it.

Reactions: dwig and OSX15

cezinho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Experienced it trying to open Firefox (when there is a Firefox update) it just won't open as it attempts to run its integrated software update and update Firefox to the newest version.
I haven't been able to bypass this, but downloading the newest version and launching that one is okay and works as it eliminates the need for it to update.
It's most likely either 3-rd party Apps not optimised for Catalina yet or macOS itself. It should be addressed at some point during the beta stage. File a report. The more the reports the more likely will Apple look into it.

Thanks! Good to know. FYI I was able to resolve the issue by pulling down the WhatsApp dmg file directly from WhatsApp's website, vs using the MacOS App Store as I had it set up previously.

Reactions: OSX15

Strategia

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2019
While this won't work for WhatsApp, on Firefox you can bypass the macOS security by running a few terminal commands.
  1. sudo spctl --master-disable in terminal emulator of choice
  2. Run app, update it
  3. Close app
  4. sudo spctl --master-enable in terminal
  5. Run app again
Edit: If you don't run the spctl enable command, WhatsApp will also work, but I don't recommend doing that as it will shut off the Gatekeeper security completely.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.