Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarineBand5524

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2021
So this has now happened in about 2 weeks' time. I came home after being gone a week, started up my MacBook Pro and it refused to log me in using the same password I always had been.

I was forced to reboot and log in with my Apple ID and password in order to reset the mac's password for log in. Well, today it happened again the system likes my finger for things, but when I have to type in my password, it won't accept it.

Then when trying to re-enable Keychain, it continually asks for the previous 2019 MBP password which had the exact same password this new system has and it freaks out!

Anyone else having issues with their 12.4 or M1 chipsets that change or delete the normal text password to access or install apps?

MarineBand5524

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2021
HAHAHA

It really doesn't surprise me that I'm always at the forefront of issues and no one else has seen nor witnessed this.

Reactions: thomasparra

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015

MarineBand5524

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2021
Others have mentioned this on the Apple Support Community forum. One person said the fix was to do an NVRAM (aka PRAM) reset:

The problem is you can't do an NVRAM reset on an M1:

I'd try calling Apple Support.
I did call, but the person I called claimed she hadn't heard of it. As for NVRAM has anyone been able to figure out how to with an M1 processor?

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
I did call, but the person I called claimed she hadn't heard of it. As for NVRAM has anyone been able to figure out how to with an M1 processor?
Then I'd call back, reference the link I provided to their Discussion Forums, and (if they're not able to help) request that they escalate this to a Level 2 advisor (their Level 1 advisors are typically only able to help with the basics).

No idea about the NVRAM. The MacWorld article mentions using Terminal, but they're not sure, so I wouldn't risk it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarineBand5524

MarineBand5524

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2021
Then I'd call back, reference the link I provided to their Discussion Forums, and (if they're not able to help) request that they escalate this to a Level 2 advisor (their Level 1 advisors are typically only able to help with the basics).

No idea about the NVRAM. The MacWorld article mentions using Terminal, but they're not sure, so I wouldn't risk it.
I will when it happens again. haha

I appreciate the info.

JoJoJones

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2021
This keeps happening to me and drives me nuts! Apple even had me uninstall and reinstall the operating system. I've had my M1 air since November. I feel like I bought a paperweight. It's my first Macbook.

Reactions: MarineBand5524

MarineBand5524

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2021
This keeps happening to me and drives me nuts! Apple even had me uninstall and reinstall the operating system. I've had my M1 air since November. I feel like I bought a paperweight. It's my first Macbook.
It looks like it's now a known bug, on the actual Apple Support forum people are going nuts. I'm happy to tell you that Betas 1-3 so far have eliminated this issue.

Reactions: JoJoJones
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.