Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Igor3d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2022
Hello everyone,

I need some help, please. Has anyone encountered a similar issue?

I have a MacBook Pro 2019, 16-inch, with an i7 processor and Radeon 5300 (Model A2141). I'm running macOS Sonoma 14.3.

Occasionally, when I’m actively using Google Maps in Google Chrome, I experience some serious graphical glitches. Sometimes these glitches or flickering affect only the browser window, but other times, they spread to all open windows, making everything flash and glitch uncontrollably. As a result, I can’t interact with the interface, like opening or closing any windows, as everything becomes unresponsive. Sometimes I even see horizontal colored stripes, though I haven’t managed to capture them on video.

This issue happens rarely because I don't often use Maps on my laptop, but it’s noticeable when it does. The rest of the time, my laptop works fine while using Google Chrome, watching YouTube, reading emails, working in PHP Storm, watching videos in different players, or gaming—no problems at all. It seems that these issues only occur when working with Google Maps, but not always. I haven’t noticed this problem with other apps.

Additionally, sometimes the problem only affects the Google Maps window, while at other times, it spreads to all open applications, as you can see in the video I’ve attached. When this happens, I can't switch between browsers or even shut down the Mac using the normal method. I had to force shut down by holding the power button for several seconds.

Does anyone know what could be causing this issue or has anyone experienced something similar?

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2024-08-25 в 11.47.16.png
    Снимок экрана 2024-08-25 в 11.47.16.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 69
  • Снимок экрана 2024-08-25 в 11.46.14.png
    Снимок экрана 2024-08-25 в 11.46.14.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 27

specialstyle

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2024
My observation is it looks like the icons are switching very quickly on the dock... so I'm wondering if you have a glitchy trackpad or keyboard that might be switching between applications very quickly. If you can somehow rule that out it might help you.

Another thing you can try is to limit the graphics switching within the Mac's system preferences and see if you can replicate the problem. If there's an issue with the high performance graphics it could be part of the problem -- but seeing the focus changing between the icons tells me it's more of an input problem than anything.

Hope that helps!

Igor3d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2022
My observation is it looks like the icons are switching very quickly on the dock... so I'm wondering if you have a glitchy trackpad or keyboard that might be switching between applications very quickly. If you can somehow rule that out it might help you.

Another thing you can try is to limit the graphics switching within the Mac's system preferences and see if you can replicate the problem. If there's an issue with the high performance graphics it could be part of the problem -- but seeing the focus changing between the icons tells me it's more of an input problem than anything.

Hope that helps!
Thank you for your response.

Yes, this time the issue wasn't just with the display flickering; there was also a glitch related to cyclic switching between applications.

I have no complaints about the keyboard or trackpad in general, but these glitches, as I mentioned earlier, usually start when I have Google Maps open. Sometimes it's just flickering, sometimes there are colored stripes, and sometimes I can simply close Chrome and reopen it. However, this time, I had to reboot because even the cursor wasn't working properly. But I think the root of the problem lies in the combination of Google Chrome, Google Maps, and the video system.

specialstyle

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2024
I don't know if it's possible to do it.... but you might be able to disable keyboard shortcuts either in Chrome itself or in Google Maps. Not a perfect solution, but what is these days ;-)

Igor3d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2022
Here's another example where it’s clear that the glitch mainly affects Chrome, especially its tabs and particularly Google Maps, while the cursor works perfectly, and other applications are functioning well too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.