Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blacktop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
London, UK
Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2nd hand DSLR from a relative

Canon EOS 400D - and an 8GB extreme 3 compact flash card...

my brother-in-law has a
Nikon D50, and a SanDisk 1GB SD card...

each time i try and connect his camera to my MB (see sig) it does not recognise, unless i boot in Windows XP (via BootCamp)...

but my canon EOS 400D does get recognised by Leopard...
OS fully upto date..

I did also notice, that the Canon EOS 550D (or the 500D) was on sale on the apple website, but no other DSLR was...

now, here is the question:

Does apple have an agreement with Canon or is there a setting that i need to change in order to get the Nikon running with Leopard?

thanks!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Do you have any software installed for the Nikon?

Canon uses the EOS Utility to download photos from the camera, by installing that software some kind of driver comes with that.

The same may be needed for the Nikon.

Which software are you using to access the photos anyway?

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Do you have any software installed for the Nikon?

Canon uses the EOS Utility to download photos from the camera, by installing that software some kind of driver comes with that.

The same may be needed for the Nikon.

Which software are you using to access the photos anyway?

You don't need the Canon software to download photos in the Canon cameras. The OS already has the drivers for most Canon cameras, except for late releases. However, by selecting "Software Update" and updating the OS, the drivers are included in the update. If not in that specific update, then it does not take very long for Apple to provide the newest drivers. I don't know about Nikon, however.

Tronic

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Question is, why do you want to connect a dslr to your computer unless you are trying to shoot tethered. At which point you'd have already installed camera control pro 2. If you just want to download images from an sd/cf card, it is much more efficient in speed and battery life to just use a card reader.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
If you just want to download images from an sd/cf card, it is much more efficient in speed and battery life to just use a card reader.
Battery life yes, but speed no in my experience. I've got 3 different USB2 card readers (including the one in the monitor) and the fastest download speed of all is still straight from the camera via USB, so I don't bother with the readers anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.