Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
I was hoping to see if anyone else had encountered this issue with the YouTube app and if there was any kind of fix?

First off, I'll start of by stating that the YouTube Apple TV app's UI is pretty abysmal; I can work with it, but that doesn't mean that it's good. Under the subscriptions tab, it loads all the channels I am subscribed to and when I select one, it "drills" further in to show all the videos, playlists, etc. Previously, if I scrolled far enough to the right on a list of videos, there would be a "Load More" box that would eventually appear so I would be able to see more than the 10-12 videos that are initially shown.

However, I noticed at some point last week (two weeks ago?) that when I scroll to the right, that "Load More" box doesn't show up anymore. It does show up if I am in a playlist and scroll to the bottom, but not on the default channel screen. This is extremely annoying and seems to have happened on what I could guess is the latest version of YouTube? It really makes me not want to use my Apple TV to watch YouTube since it is now practically impossible to watch older videos (especially in channels with loads of playlists as I can't access all of them) and makes me go back to my iPad instead. I only started noticing this issue after I opened the app at some point with it having a blue dot next to the name.

I've tried killing/reopening the app as well as restarting my Apple TV; neither of them resulted in fixing the issue. I suppose I could try to delete and reinstall and see if that fixes anything...

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Yes, I have noticed the lack of "load more" option. Pretty sloppy on youtube's part to release an update for bugfixing and then fudge this up. Add to that the fact that since the update I'm seeing ads between videos more often than before.

Reactions: wchigo

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
Yes, I have noticed the lack of "load more" option. Pretty sloppy on youtube's part to release an update for bugfixing and then fudge this up. Add to that the fact that since the update I'm seeing ads between videos more often than before.
Geez, they really dropped the ball on this. I mean, none of their apps are great in terms of design but at the very least they were functional. I can't even say that much about their app for ATV anymore.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Reactions: melapple

winstars

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2015
Using the search function, I never see the "recent searches" option I believe I had on my ATV3.

Anyone else notice this???

MarioD

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2015
Cape Town
I have tried playing my uploaded videos on youtube on the ATV and have had exceptional bad quality. If i air play from my phone its fine. Other youtube videos play in perfect quality so I'm not sure what the problem is as I know I uploaded them in HD. Ive checked the settings on both youtube and the ATV and can't seem to find anything out of the ordinary.

iMacRW

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I have not noticed this problem, will try to recreate it tonight. However, still super annoyed that the videos play in reverse (Plays previous video) rather than rolling to the next video in sequential order! Anyone been able to fix this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.