Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmgbenschop

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2020
I do not have any experience with Stats but I use iStat Menus for a couple of years now and I do not find it very resource heavy. It's funny that even Activity Monitor is using more resources than iStat Menus.

altaic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
I’ve only used Stats since it works and is open source. If I encounter an issue, I’ll contribute. Haven’t run into anything yet with my MBP M1 Max.

That said, I mostly use it for temps and memory usage. I’ve found that macOS’s built in energy usage metrics are nice enough, and I use Al Dente for battery management.

januarydrive7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
Haven't used iStat Menus for over 5 years, so can't compare current versions. Stats is one of the first things I download to a new Mac nowadays, as it has everything I wanted from Stats. There was a memory leak when I first started using it, but since it's open source, I was able to patch it quickly myself. Haven't had any issues with it since.

Reactions: osplo

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've been running iStat Menus for years now on a wide variety of Macs and it is very light on resources. You can leave it on and it only affects Geekbench by one or two points. I've not run into any battery issues using it either, but don't know for sure how it affects battery life. It appears to have little or no impact. Also, if you're concerned about it consuming resources or CPU cycles, you can set its refresh rate to suit your needs.

synicalx1

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
I've been using iStat for... I don't even know how long, many many years probably 10 if not longer. It goes on sale all the time for pocket change and it has a level of polish that's pretty hard to beat. The one or two times I've had problems (very minor ones at that) the devs are super responsive.

Biggest use case for me day to day is the multiple clocks/timezones that makes it much easier for me when I'm working across multiple timezones + UTC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.