Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinkband

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Hey guys,

I posted on here once before and at that time, I was considering the D40X and the Rebel XTI. Well, with the new XSI coming out and the more I learn that the XTI really is not a big upgrade over the XT, I need to reconsider splurging quite so soon.

Right now I am taking the second semester of a digital photography class. I think, I really like the feel of a bigger DSLR like the Canon 30d but I do not have the money for that right now.

If I buy the Nikon D40 now, I will look to buy a new DSLR in about six months, probably either the xsi or a better Canon.

For the convenience and the price, would everyone agree that I should go with the Nikon now with the kit lens for $470, and wait for prices to go down before buying a mid level DSLR? I could get the XTI kit or D40X kit for $600. Is the difference in money worth it? Keep in mind I am a high school student short on money right now, so I would only really want to pay the $130 if I was missing significant features.

I am open to other entry DSLR's, it is just this particular Nikon seems to get very good reviews. I would consider the XT as well if people thought that was better than the D40, but since the two cameras are almost two years apart, I am apprehensive on picking an older camera.

Thanks for the help and expertise on this forum. I look forward to posting my own pictures of the day when I get my new camera :)

-John

emheenan

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
That depends...

I wouldn't advise you to chose your first dSLR based solely on its price, particularly if you're planning to upgrade in 6-24 months anyway.

The brand of dSLR you choose to buy will most likely decide which dSLR you buy next, and the one after that and the one after that. The reason being that when you're choosing between Nikon and Canon your choice shouldn't be between whether the D40 or D40X or XTi or XSi is better, but which system of lenses (Nikon or Canon) is better, and which most suits the price range you think you may ultimately be interested in.

As I'm a Canon man myself I'll confine what I have to say to the XTi and XSi. I don't think there's all that much difference between the cameras you mentioned. The XSi has a spot meter, which would be good, but otherwise the improvements on the XTi aren't very significant. If you can find a cheap XTi, get that.

For what it's worth - I have an XTi (400D) and don't plan to upgrade to the XSi (450D). Before my XTi I had the 300D, and skipped the 350D because it wasn't worth paying the upgrade premium. I plan probably to buy the next revision to the 40D (the 50D?) when it's released (probably) in 12-18 months. Maybe. In the meantime I plan to spend my spare money buying better lenses, which is where you should probably concentrate your spending money while you're learning too.

Flowero4ka

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Hey guys,

I posted on here once before and at that time, I was considering the D40X and the Rebel XTI. Well, with the new XSI coming out and the more I learn that the XTI really is not a big upgrade over the XT, I need to reconsider splurging quite so soon.

Right now I am taking the second semester of a digital photography class. I think, I really like the feel of a bigger DSLR like the Canon 30d but I do not have the money for that right now.

If I buy the Nikon D40 now, I will look to buy a new DSLR in about six months, probably either the xsi or a better Canon.

For the convenience and the price, would everyone agree that I should go with the Nikon now with the kit lens for $470, and wait for prices to go down before buying a mid level DSLR? I could get the XTI kit or D40X kit for $600. Is the difference in money worth it? Keep in mind I am a high school student short on money right now, so I would only really want to pay the $130 if I was missing significant features.

I am open to other entry DSLR's, it is just this particular Nikon seems to get very good reviews. I would consider the XT as well if people thought that was better than the D40, but since the two cameras are almost two years apart, I am apprehensive on picking an older camera.

Thanks for the help and expertise on this forum. I look forward to posting my own pictures of the day when I get my new camera :)

-John

I made a post about D80 - it could be useful for you! https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/423113/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.