Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
My mid 2010 27" iMac is heating too much. I can feel the heat when im touching it on its top side. Is there someway i can check if everything is working flawlessly? Dunno, maybe check to see if fans are working?

Fatboy71

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2010
UK
My mid 2010 27" iMac is heating too much. I can feel the heat when im touching it on its top side. Is there someway i can check if everything is working flawlessly? Dunno, maybe check to see if fans are working?

There is this https://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

It isn't free, but you maybe able to see in the trial version, the temperature of your iMac and also, see if the fans are operating.

I have iStat Menus on my Late 2012 iMac and it shows what RPM the fans are spinning at.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

It's six years old, when was the last time you cleaned the dust out of it??? That can make a big difference. Also it may need the thermal paste reapplying. Take a look at ifixit for guides on basic maintenance.

Reactions: tubeexperience

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Dunno, maybe check to see if fans are working?
As mentioned, use iStatmenus to get an accurate temperature. Too hot can be relative, i.e., what I think is hot and what is actually hot for a computer may be two different things. That app will also provide fan speeds, to tell you if the fans are operating as you hope they are.

Also what @Samuelsan2001 mentioned about cleaning out the iMac - dust build up may be a contributing factor as well.

Fried Chicken

Suspended
Jun 11, 2011
If it’s never been opened up, it may need to be cleaned and have all the dust removed.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I have opened it and installed an ssd along with the old hdd. I guess the only way to know what's wrong would be to know the original temperatures and compare with the existing.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have opened it and installed an ssd along with the old hdd. I guess the only way to know what's wrong would be to know the original temperatures and compare with the existing.
how hot is it getting now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.