Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Having been through the MobileMe syncing debacle, I have been unable to sync my contacts in this last version of iTunes WITH an App Store. iPhone is direct connected, but any updates to Contacts on the computer (Mac Pro) or the iPhone X won't sync between the two devices.

Anyone know of a fix?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
What has iTunes to do with syncing contacts? You sync contacts between devices by using the iCloud options available in System Preferences, iCloud. Also you need to be signed into iCloud and use the same Apple ID on your Mac Pro and iPhone X.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
What has iTunes to do with syncing contacts? You sync contacts between devices by using the iCloud options available in System Preferences, iCloud. Also you need to be signed into iCloud and use the same Apple ID on your Mac Pro and iPhone X.

That version of iTunes has EVERYTHING to do with syncing Contacts. As mentioned, syncing has never been Apple's strong suit. Some of us opt to avoid as much iCloud syncing as possible (though Apple is forcing it down our throats) due to errors and numerous duplicate records.

The option exists in this corporate version of iTunes to sync via direct connect to the computer. Not being able to use said option is where my question lies.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Have to disagree. I have never had a problem syncing contacts or anything else between devices. I guess it's your choice not to use iCloud, but it does work.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Have to disagree. I have never had a problem syncing contacts or anything else between devices. I guess it's your choice not to use iCloud, but it does work.

Nothing to agree or disagree with here as I'm asking about a feature that exists in iTunes 12.6.3.6. I'm confident that iCloud syncing works for many people. However, it must NOT work for many people as well since MacRumors just put out an article on how to delete your duplicate Contacts:

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/merge-remove-contacts-macos/

;)

Anyone else have a workaround for this ridiculous issue when direct connecting an iPhone to a desktop Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.