Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derricke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
Many movies in 4K hdr can be rent in iTunes Store now.

But I couldn’t see 4K hdr and Dolby vision on my MacBook Pro 2016.

I wonder if I can have this feature after updating to macOS High Sierra... thx :)

Susja

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2017
Folks,
Could you please explain me if a movie rented or bought on iTunes could be played on any 4K HDR supporting device?
I mean that I have iPhone X which I believe supports 4K HDR and I could buy a movie or just watch a trailer in HDR from iTunes Store?
If I reward my question it would sound like if 4K HDR is bound to particular type of Apple device?
Thanks

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Folks,
Could you please explain me if a movie rented or bought on iTunes could be played on any 4K HDR supporting device?
I mean that I have iPhone X which I believe supports 4K HDR and I could buy a movie or just watch a trailer in HDR from iTunes Store?
If I reward my question it would sound like if 4K HDR is bound to particular type of Apple device?
Thanks

At the moment only the latest iPhones and the 4K Apple TV have the software to do it, so yes it’s in the operating system, I am sure a future update will bring it to our macs.

Susja

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2017
At the moment only the latest iPhones and the 4K Apple TV have the software to do it, so yes it’s in the operating system, I am sure a future update will bring it to our macs.
Well I was confused . It’s really 2k. I.e. iPhone X is not 4K.
But anyway I could watch the same movie I did before on 6+ in significantly better quality.
Btw ... related to above question: how could I know what resolution was shot movie when I already moved it to iPhone or MacBook and I don’t have the source?
I think that size wouldn’t be correct criteria...
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.