Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vandal.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Berlin, Germany
Hey guys,

I'm having issues activating Home Sharing in iTunes (12.6.2) on my Mac Mini running Mavericks. I'm aware that iCloud/Apple ID two factor authentication for anything pre-Yosemite is a bit tricky, but I managed to log in to my account for everything else but Home Sharing.

The computer is authorized and I'm signed in to the iTunes Store with my Apple ID. If I now try to activate Home Sharing (File > Home Sharing > Turn On Home Sharing) and enter my Apple ID and password, I do receive the two-factor code on my other devices but also instantly receive this error from iTunes: "Home Sharing could not be activated because an error occured (5507)."

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 13.03.57.png

I followed these suggestions and just tried to add the code from the previous attempt to my password on the next try but then I simply get "Home Sharing could not be activated because the Apple ID or password was incorrect". Does anyone have an idea what the issues could be here?

Thanks a lot, V

jmac6783

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2019
Mobile, AL
Having same issue on 10.6.3 on my iMac G4. Trying to set it up as a media server for my 3 ATV's. Used to be able to temporarily disable 2FA to get around this issue but now Apple has made 2FA mandatory.
Steps I've taken: Tried downgrading to the oldest iTunes possible with home sharing (iTunes 9), same issue.
Tried turning home sharing off on all ATV's and MacBook Pro. -Same issue
Logged out of iTunes, de-authenticated, re-authenticated. -Same issue
Logged into Apple ID support website and tried an "app-specific password" - still same error.
Even tried logging in under my wife's iCloud account, same error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.