Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I'm just having a clear out before purchasing a new iMac, and just wondering what files I need for my iTunes library.

I have two folders which look the same - i.e. look as though they contain all my music, which are:

Music/iTunes/iTunes Music (68GB)
Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music (56GB)

Do I need both of these, or are they different things that I need both of?

Thanks.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Did you migrate one or both of those from an even older computer? You may have two libraries. You may even be using both of them (inadvertently), if at some point in the past you imported (Add to Library...) the contents of one library into the other without consolidating (consolidating would have physically moved a copy of the old library into the new).

Today, Music/iTunes/iTunes Media is the location for media content (separate folders for Music, Podcasts, Downloads, etc.). In iTunes 8.2.1 and earlier, Music/iTunes/iTunes Music was the normal structure.

First, check which one you're currently using by going to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced - that'll show which library you're using. However, you may need to consolidate before deleting the other one.

This will tell you more about your iTunes library structure: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204668

Reactions: Partron22

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Thanks - it would have come from an older Mac back in 2010. Back then the 1TB hard drive on the iMac probably seemed like a bottomless pit and I maybe made a copy or something.

Will check which its using and should be OK to delete the other. (If I lose stuff it won't be the end of the world, as I'm subscribing to Apple Music these days anyway).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.